Yet another RIMS toolbox!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
Hey all! Finally finished my RIMS toolbox controller with the help of my electrician friend. We based our design off the RIMS kit available from eBrewSupply. The RIMS tube is from BrewHardware and the fittings are all from Bargain Fittings. We haven't come up with a mounting solution for the tube yet, because I want portability - but we will likely mount it to the box in some fashion. Thanks to everyone for all of the assistance - especially the Mypin PID threads.

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

Nice looking toolbox control panel! I've been looking over a LOT of electric build threads lately trying to find something that I feel comfortable with. This one is awesome.

If you don't mind, what kind of ballpark figure did this end up costing? (you can pm if you want)

Did the toolbox feel big enough to fit everything in without issue, or would you go larger/smaller if you had to do it again?

Nice looking toolbox control panel! I've been looking over a LOT of electric build threads lately trying to find something that I feel comfortable with. This one is awesome.

If you don't mind, what kind of ballpark figure did this end up costing? (you can pm if you want)

Did the toolbox feel big enough to fit everything in without issue, or would you go larger/smaller if you had to do it again?

For the panel itself, I'd ballpark it at around $250-$300. That doesn't include the pump or RIMS enclosure itself.

The whole project, when it's all said and done, was probably around $450, not including the pump (which I already had) and a bunch of the wire, which I obtained through a friend.

That's not bad at all. And a heck of lot better than these $1,000-3,000 control panels I see flying around the forums lately.

Have you gotten any brews done with it yet?

Great job Andy. You give me hope. Definitely coming by to check this out sometime. What did you brew?

That's not bad at all. And a heck of lot better than these $1,000-3,000 control panels I see flying around the forums lately.

Have you gotten any brews done with it yet?

I actually brewed with it yesterday. I had run a few autotune cycles at lower temperatures but wanted to do it with mash temps. With the cold weather I used my propane burner to assist with heating water volumes initially, but the RIMS kept temperature really well during the mash and mash out. Ramp up time from 150-168 for mash out was around 20 minutes on a 1500w element.

I was happy! Definitely some tweaking necessary, but that has more to do with the physical location I'm brewing in - might mash indoors in the future when it's below 40 out.

What heating element and Temp Probe are you using in that RIMS tube?

Dave

I'm using a LWD 1500w element that I picked up at Home Depot. I think it's their house brand - it seems to perform well.

The temp probe is from Auber - it's their 2 in. RTD probe with quick disconnect. The specific probe I bought is this one. I upgraded to the 8 ft. braided mating cable option - totally worth it.

Have you noticed if the inside of the toolbox gets very warm/hot? Do you foresee needing to add a fan in the future?

Have you noticed if the inside of the toolbox gets very warm/hot? Do you foresee needing to add a fan in the future?

There's already a fan in there! We installed a USB fan with in intake port at the rear of the box, pulling in air near the pump housing, and an exit port where the fan is mounted on the front of the box, pulling air over the SSR.

Ah, I saw the grill on the back side of the box from the inside, but missed the fan in the front.

Cool project. I look forward to seeing your experience with it to see if its something I want to do in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

Back