Belgian IPA and Saison yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdanderson1449

Reaction score
So, my mates and I brewed a Belgian IPA a couple of weeks ago. Same stuff, different day. Belgian grain bill, IPA hop schedule but we used a Saison yeast, Lallemand Belle Saison to be more specific.

So I peeled the cover off the carboy for maybe the second time since pitching today and to my surprise, saw a few white fluffy spots on floating on top of the wort.

First thing that comes to mind is "oh no! My first infection in my most expensive to make beer so far!?!?!" Then I stepped back and thought for a second, Saison yeasts are basically Belgian sour yeasts, right? So maybe what I have going on in the carboy is normal. Maybe it's a happy accident. Maybe I'll have to dump five gallons of beer because I cleaned and sanitized the exact same way that I have for the last fifty gallons of beer that I've brewed. I'm not sure. What do you all think?

Belgian yeasts are not sour yeasts. Agreed, sour beers come from thevsame region, but soyr beers use wild yeast and microbes in addition to regular yeast.

'White and fluffy' souuds ominious, but might be ok. I think I would check gravity, rack to a carboy, and see what happens.

I actually think I have it figured out. I used Belle Saison and it's a monster. It ferments hard and fast, right out of the gate. What I thought I was seeing, upon further inspection is not actually what it is.

I thought I was seeing something bad. What I was actually seeing appears to be the end of the krausen falling. I need to remember that this beer has only been fermenting for about 8 or 9 days and to have the krausen fall and have totally dissipated by now is a little unrealistic.

I'm not worried about it anymore and am planning on playing it by taste. Who knows, it could be a happy accident. Or it could be exactly what I was anticipating.

You should look forward to this beer. IMO, saison yeast is absolutely the way to go on a BIPA. Drinking mine right now that used WLP566 and dry hopped with Mosaic, Columbus and Amarillo. Delicious - enjoy!

Sounds like the last thin layer of bubbles to me too. I'm sure it will be OK. Saisons are hoppier than other Belgian beers anyway so I think this will work fine.

I am actually looking forward to making this beer again. My first try actually didn't turn out how I wanted it to, pre-fermentation. I missed my volume by almost a gallon because it was my first brew in new equipment. I also missed my target gravity because of low efficiency.

Latest posts

Back