What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstewartff

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast into my wort at to low of a temp. What can I do? Is the yeast going to be alright? I thought I might be able to increase the room temp to get the wort temp up but I know 5 gals are going to take awhile to warm back up, Is this the best option?

What kind of yeast?

This means a lot. If it's a lager, just leave it in a cool/cold spot. If it's an ale, leave it at room temperature.

Don't worry. Yeast will take care of itself.

Depending on how low of a temp it may not be that bad. To start, the internal temp on your fermenter will end up being few degrees warmer than the room due to the activity going on.

If you are really concerned, check the manufacturer and see what the optimal ranges are for the yeast you pitched (wyeast provides this info on their website).

If measures need to be take, you can move your beer to a warmer room, wrap it in blankets, rub it (OK, that one was a joke...)...

If anything too cool is better than too warm. You may take longer to fully ferment but you won't get any off flavors.

You're probably fine. Better to have hibernated yeast than dead yeast.
Need details. What is the yeast strain?
And what temps did you pitch?

It was a dry lager yeast. I dont know what temp it was after i pitched i noticed condensation on the side and felt it. It was realy cold. The only thermometer i could find would only show LOW on the display.

Lager yeasts are typically pitched in the mid 50's
That's a good sign. Ideally, you will want to dial in the temp of your wort so you may adequately control the ferm

Back