poor beer lost 4 gallons of it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
So last Friday my dad was going to be in town and wanwanted to stop bye and have a couple beers... so me and him are having a good time shooting the sheet bsing about beer.. well its time for last round for him my glass was still part way ful, so he goes to keezer and gets him a beer. While he was up I asked if he wanted to see the supply room I put together... we looked at it bla bla bla then decided it's time for him to head out, we are walking up stairs walked by the keezer and heard the regulator on my co2 tank whining... started thinking wtf a hose break? Well I opened my keezer and found that 4 gallons of chocolate peanut butter stout that had been ageing for 2 month's...
He felt really bad helped me. Lean it up and paid me for the beer so I couldn't. Complain too much... but what happened he pinched the picnic tap between the keg handle and the lid of keezer so lEssen learned be careful guys and good luck hope this never happens to you

20150109_212156.jpg

Yikes. I'm always paranoid about doing that, I always make sure I lay the picnic taps where they aren't touching anything and won't interfere with the lid when it closes. I should probably make sure I tell my wife to do the same whenever she gets some beer.

Yea I had told him that many times... just more persuasive to build new keezer with actual taps

That's a bummer. When aging a beer though, perhaps keep the liquid line disconnected. It is the worst thing about picnic taps.

So last Friday my dad was going to be in town and wanwanted to stop bye and have a couple beers... so me and him are having a good time shooting the sheet bsing about beer.. well its time for last round for him my glass was still part way ful, so he goes to keezer and gets him a beer. While he was up I asked if he wanted to see the supply room I put together... we looked at it bla bla bla then decided it's time for him to head out, we are walking up stairs walked by the keezer and heard the regulator on my co2 tank whining... started thinking wtf a hose break? Well I opened my keezer and found that 4 gallons of chocolate peanut butter stout that had been ageing for 2 month's...
He felt really bad helped me. Lean it up and paid me for the beer so I couldn't. Complain too much... but what happened he pinched the picnic tap between the keg handle and the lid of keezer so lEssen learned be careful guys and good luck hope this never happens to you

All you needed was two straws to take care of that issue.

Major downer. In my picnic tap days I was having enough problems with lines recoiling and just a squirt down walls that needed to be cleaned. Was happy to see them go.

Sorry but i'm having a hard time understanding why you were using picnic taps to begin with.

Cost. The freezer, temp control, manifold, tank, regulator is enough of an initial expense. I used picnic taps for a while until I could afford the additional expense of taps, shanks, tail pieces, handles.

Sorry but i'm having a hard time understanding why you were using picnic taps to begin with.

Because not everyone has had the cashflow right away to buy everything needed to convert a chest freezer into a keezer including buying kegs and of course brewing to fill them. I started with picnic taps but read a dozen horror stories about the behaviors I could expect. I used a weird picnic tap mod posted here to hang my taps off a binder clip. That worked absolutely perfectly.

In my case, I don't have the equipment to fabricate a collar, not to mention the cash to buy 5 faucets/shanks. Picnics work great for the time being.

In my case, I don't have the equipment to fabricate a collar, not to mention the cash to buy 5 faucets/shanks. Picnics work great for the time being.

Most lumber stores will cut wood free of charge as long as it isn't a bullcrap order. I made mine from 2x12 and went in with a "2 lengths of X, 2 lengths of Y" request sheet. If you or a neighbour have a drill that's about all you need. Little bit of stain and sealant of choice and an el-cheapo disposable foam brush and you're set.

As mentioned earlier the faucets are the big ticket item. Somewhere in the forums the idea was mentioned to make the collar and just have the beer line come through the "faucet mounts" with a picnic tap poking through as a half-step to keezerville.

yea what he said.. when i build my big keezer it will be able to hold 12 kegs and have taps coming out of the front with a individual regulator for each keg... but thats alot of money.. slowly but surley

Because not everyone has had the cashflow right away to buy everything needed to convert a chest freezer into a keezer including buying kegs and of course brewing to fill them. I started with picnic taps but read a dozen horror stories about the behaviors I could expect. I used a weird picnic tap mod posted here to hang my taps off a binder clip. That worked absolutely perfectly.

Was this the binder clip solution?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/cobra-picnic-tap-users-162681/

Back