Dry hopping with a basic brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExcuseRobin

Reaction score
Hiya guys, I'm looking for something that is a little bit more fun for my second brew. I've been told that if I buy an exctract kit for a neutral beer like a pale ale and then dry hop it, it would make for a nice result. But I've only got a single fermenter, should I try anyway, and how, or is this a silly idea? Thanks.
Happy brewing folks

experimenting is a great idea, that is how good beer is stumbled upon, that being said, just toss in your hops 5 to 7 days before bottling...cheers, Tom

Hiya guys, I'm looking for something that is a little bit more fun for my second brew. I've been told that if I buy an exctract kit for a neutral beer like a pale ale and then dry hop it, it would make for a nice result. But I've only got a single fermenter, should I try anyway, and how, or is this a silly idea? Thanks.
Happy brewing folks

This is a great idea and its one I do regularly. Wait until the ferment is done so you don't lose the hop aroma to the outgassing of CO2 and bottle it when you think it has had the hops long enough. I've read that 3 to 5 days is sufficient but I usually go a week and a few times I've even gone 2 weeks(not recommended).

One thing to know before you start is that the aroma will begin to fade within 2 to 3 months so don't plan on storing this beer long term.

Another hint is to slip a paint strainer bag (one gallon size works well) over the input side of the racking tube or autosiphon and hold it in place with a rubber band. This will help keep the hop particles out of your bottles. Make sure to sanitize before putting the assembled siphon into your beer.

You could easily dry hop a pale ale kit by dry hopping with the same hops used for flavor in the kit's boil. Since our senses of smell & taste are linked, it'll give a fuller hop experience. I dry hop 7 days with sanitized muslin hop socks. No more than one ounce of hop pellets per sack to allow decent flow through. If using whole leaf hops, use a muslin or nylon grain bag (like the size in steeping grain kits) to dry hop, as one ounce of whole leaf will have a lot more bulk than one ounce of pellet hops.

I never secondary any of my beers. I always dryhop in the primary and I usually use pellet hops for about 5 days or so. If you cold crash for a few days most of the hops and other floaties will fall out and you'll have pretty clear beer.
So, yea, toss in your hops and make a great beer!

Back