Lose Carbination if Using 1G Fermentor Jug as Growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
Currently doing 1 gallon all-grain test batches.

Is there any way to also use my 1 gallon glass Fermentor jug as a growler?

There's quite a trub in the bottom so I know I will lose a bit of liquid if I rack out of the jug and then back into it again.

Is a one gallon jug with a gap at the top okay as a growler, or will I lose Carbination? Or is there any way to top it back up to the one-gallon mark after removing the trub?

Thanks!

(a). Trub loss is just a part of brewing....except it. You don't want to "top off" as that would literally be like topping of your 12 oz mug of beer with water.

(b). You won't want to carbonate in the jug. The glass is not thick enough to withstand the pressure of carbonation. Even if it was, you would then be forced to drink the entire gallon once opened or it would go flat. Now not that I or many others on here couldn't handle a gallon of brew in a sitting, but most of the time with home brew you want to taste over a period of time and see how the flavors take shape.

Bottom Line
Just bottle what you will get out of the gallon, even though it won't be a true 128oz.

Currently doing 1 gallon all-grain test batches.

Is there any way to also use my 1 gallon glass Fermentor jug as a growler?

You can use a gallon fermenting jug as a growler, if it can be securely capped to hold the pressure of the CO2 in. A growler or other jug is for filling with carbonated beer. Growlers and some other types of jugs are not strong enough to with stand the high pressures of bottle carbonation.

There's quite a trub in the bottom so I know I will lose a bit of liquid if I rack out of the jug and then back into it again.

Is a one gallon jug with a gap at the top okay as a growler, or will I lose Carbination?
Head space is minimized in a growler because they are filled with beer that is already carbonated. A large head space in a filled growler would allow some CO2 to come out of solution until the pressure in the beer and head space equalizes. Like above you should not try carbonating in a growler because of the risk of it exploding.

Or is there any way to top it back up to the one-gallon mark after removing the trub?

Thanks!

Explore using PET bottles or empty soda bottles for carbonating the beer after fermentation final gravity has been reached.

Do you have beer bottles and a capper? You're going to have to drain out everything and prime the beer anyways, might as well just use bottles. I usually get about a 10% volume loss due to trub & yeast. For a gallon 10 12oz bottles or 5 22oz bottles should do the trick.

Back