Is this a contamination? What do I do about it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
As shown in pictures, I have something going on on the inside of my carboy. I sanitized using bleach and I racked yesterday into carboy. I rinsed out and waited for residual bleach odors to evaporate as usual and have never had problems before. I can't see what else this may possibly be, but it appears to have started at the mouth of my carboy/in the airlock and bung and has creeped down to about an inch from my brew. Is this some sort of contamination? Is it a bleach residue? Something else all together?

10850389_10202550805005428_1140902312_n.jpg

10884621_10202550804205408_1606519584_n.jpg

Also, I would like to add by asking: given whatever this is, what actions do I take to save this batch if needed?

The clear stuff looks like condensation. If you have warm fluid inside a closed container in a relatively cooler room, you get that sometimes.

There looks like some milky or yellowish residue as well. It looks like yeast slurry from when you pitched the yeast.

Whatever it is, there's no changing it now. It'll do its thing for a couple of week. Chances are it will make beer.

Nope, this is my secondary. I see the yellowish residue and that is in fact yeast slurry and its on the outside of the carboy. As well, I was not concerned about the condensation which should go away soon. My biggest concern is the whitish trails that go all the way from the mouth downwards. It is shown on the left side of the first picture and between the condensation in the second. I apologize for the pictures and not specifying what my question related to beforehand.

I sure hope so...If I start getting any funky smells or anything I suppose I will be worried. Otherwise it's business as usual. Thanks all!

+1 for yeast slurry. My carboys have some amount of that every time I pitch yeast without a funnel.

Latest posts

Back