First ever brew=horrible mash temps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
So last night I did my first ever brew. Everything seemed to go fine except for mashing. I could not get it to stay at 154 for the life of me! I put my grains in at 160 then it dropped to 154 perfect! I then wrapped it with a sleeping bag but the temp kept dropping so I fired up the burner and it quickly shot up over 160! I continued to chase the temp around the whole time. What the hell I'm I doing wrong! And how will my beer be affected?

If your thermometer probe is near the edge of the kettle that area may cool much faster than the middle of the container. I just check the temperature once and cover the pot for the duration of the mash.

Relax have and a hombrew (RAHAB) - you have just made beer, and my guess is decent beer. You have the years to dial in your processes. I've been brewed more than 100 batches and I still gave an odd batch's mash temperature get away from me.

The important thing is to keep brewing, you'll be surprised at how good your beer came out.

Out of curiosity, what type of beer did you brew?

Relax have and a hombrew (RAHAB) - you have just made beer, and my guess is decent beer.

X2 :tank:

It takes gross negligence to make a bad batch...

I'm betting it'll taste better than my first brew - a Coopers pale out of the can...

I did pretty much the same thing on a brew a few months ago. Came out great! Our club president tasted it and suggested I should enter it in a big local competition in Nov. Unfortunately, I didn't have any in 12 oz bottles (only 22 oz.) So, yeah RDWHAHB.

Brew on :mug:

One key to holding your temp is having a full pot. I sometimes mash in a smaller pot to avoid any headspace then transfer to boil kettle. You can warm your oven and put your kettle in there to but make sure its right around the same temp, If you leave it on warm the whole time it may get too hot.

Also try to avoid uncovering it too much. I usually mash for 45 minutes, I'll uncover and stir once or twice at most. Jus let it be, You'll hit your numbers and only drop a couple degrees maybe.

Let us know what size your kettle is and how much water your mashing with, maybe we can offer some other ideas.

Thanks for the replies I deffenitly need to relax and have a brew! The yeast took off today so I'm sure it will be ok. My thermometer probe is actually really short so that could be a problem and I'm using a 15 gallon kettle and only doing 5 gallon batches so a lot of head space. I'm not sure how to keep the temp from dropping too much? But all in all it was fun and I did a pale ale for my first brew!

So if I'm using a 15 gallon kettle and doing 5 gallon batches is it possible to just cover the kettle and turn off the burner or will it loose to much temp during the 60 minute mash?

I also do 5.5 gal batches in a 15.5 gal pot. I have found that covering with the lid, draping the pot with old bath towels (I use 3) and then covering with an old parka, I will lose from 1 to 3 degrees in a 1 hour mash. Seems to work ok for me.

Brew on :mug:

Don't worry about it too much - I mash in an uninsulated stock pot with wild temperature fluctuations, Ok I have less control over the final sugar profile but I still turn out a damned good pint.

This an ancient farmhouse craft - people have turned out great beer for thousands of years without a thermometer.

So if I'm using a 15 gallon kettle and doing 5 gallon batches is it possible to just cover the kettle and turn off the burner or will it loose to much temp during the 60 minute mash?

I think you are asking the question wrong. It isn't whether you will lose too much temp in 60 minutes, it's "do I need to mash for a full hour?" I've found that 20 minutes of mash does about the same as 60. Give it a try for one batch, 20 to 30 minutes.

I think you are asking the question wrong. It isn't whether you will lose too much temp in 60 minutes, it's "do I need to mash for a full hour?" I've found that 20 minutes of mash does about the same as 60. Give it a try for one batch, 20 to 30 minutes.

That may be true but I can't help it I want everything to be perfect!

I'm also a 5 gallon batch / 15 gallon pot brewer. I'd echo the comments on mash times not needing a full hour. I find that my 2 layer reflectix jacket and an old comforter are enough to hold temps without firing the burner. Not perfect, but close enough for me!

Fold a couple towels and lay/drap over lid and wrap with a blanket. It'll be good, I use same equip & have to heat once max.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Fold a couple towels and lay/drap over lid and wrap with a blanket. It'll be good, I use same equip & have to heat once max.

Typos corrected! I was on a treadmill! Lol. Wow

Back