Disconnecting co2 form a carbed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Once a keg is full carbed is it ok to disconnect it from the co2 line if it's just sitting there? Obviously when pouring I would hook it back up. I only have one gas line and need to carb another keg. I would go out and get a manifold but SWMBO says to wait for Santa Claus

Sure. Just hook it back up once in a while (couple days...whatever it needs) top it off since some pressure might escape as the keg seal may not be perfect everytime.

+1 ^

I conditioned a keg of Pumpkin ale in the utility room for almost a year. Pressure was the same as the day I unhooked it, but I knew that keg had good seals, and had tested it.

Well I used keg lube and brand new o rings so I'd say I'm good to go on the seal then. Thanks!

Well I used keg lube and brand new o rings so I'd say I'm good to go on the seal then. Thanks!

A good seal depends on many factors, but your new O-rings and keg lube will certainly help.

Leaky poppets are one PitA example. Spray the lid edges, PRV, and posts with Starsan and watch for bubbles.

When sealing a lid, put 5-10 psi on the keg, spray Starsan liberally around the lid's edges and open the bail. Press one side of the lid about 1/8" down, and go around. If you maintain a seal that way it's likely gonna stay. Relock the bail.

Definitely check the posts carefully. I unhooked my kegs once while I had the landlord bringing a plumber over while I was gone. When I got home there was a nice puddle on the floor of my keezer due to a tiny hop particle letting a tiny bit of beer ease out of the poppit. The pressure wasn't enough to lose the whole keg, but it was a pain to clean up.

I turn off my cylinder except when serving, make sure to charge the lines once a week or so, never had an issue. I pressure test my kegs, including removing the hoses, each time I fill them- so far, so good.

Back