Adding Coffee to Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Brewed a Beechwood smoked Porter 7 weeks ago - tastes great with a lot of smoke flavor.

I Brewed 7 gallons, bottled 4, and have the other 2.5 gallons sitting with oak, rum, and vanilla.

I've never used coffee before. I thought I would toss in some whole beans for a week before bottling this 2.5 gallons to see what it does. Question: How much should I use. I'm figuring between 1 and 2 ozs based on what I have seen from other recipes, but that does seem low.

Any guidance would be welcome.

I make a coffee stout and use 24oz. of cold brewed fresh ground coffee at kegging. I would cold brew 12oz and add to taste.

i just asked about making a whole bean extract in another thread. i have read that using a cup of whole beans covered in vodka makes a great extract, without tannins you may find in other methods.
i guess if i don't hear back, i'll report my own experiment in a couple weeks' time. prost!~

To 4 gallons of a recent rye porter I added 25g (just shy of an ounce) of whole beans which were steeped in an ounce of whiskey for a few days. After only 2 days I racked to a keg. Upon my first tapping of it, it was over the top coffee aroma and taste. After about 2-3 weeks it faded to an accent flavor. Now 2 months later another brewer might even guess I got the current coffee level strictly from specific dark malts. It's there, but not dominant by any means. I used a fairly dark roast, low acidity, high body coffee (Collectivo's Maxmillion). Hope that helps some.

I added 1 ounce of whole coffee beans to the 2.5 gallons today. I plan on bottling next Friday, so it will be in there for 6 days.

It is not a lot of coffee. Looks like less than I use in my coffee maker every morning.

Latest posts

Back