straining the wort..or not???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigler-bier

Reaction score
Hello my Beer making Gods!

So, I'm taking a big step in my home brewing life. I'm getting the Braumeister 50lt and really looking forward to playing with that beautiful piece of machinery.

I've been checking out videos how to use it and noticed that they don't strain the wort after the boil is over and cooled.

I've always been straining it through a syphon strainer as I pour the wort into the fermenter.. Is this necessary, since it can be quite a pain in the butt to do so???

Also, with this new Braumeister system I'm getting a 50l plastic fermenter which I'm going to use instead of my glass carboys. The plastic fermenter has a valve at the bottom to drain out the wort...
How is this supposed to work??
I mean when all the trub is at the bottom then how could you use this valve when bottling???

Cheers!:tank:

I mean when all the trub is at the bottom then how could you use this valve when bottling???

You really need 2 buckets, one for fermenting and the one with the spigot for bottling. You would ferment in the one with no spigot, then carefully rack the beer to the bottling bucket which would have had a bit of priming sugar and water mixture in it so it will mix well. That way you would leave the trub behind in the fermenter so it doesn't get into the bottles.

You could also ferment in your glass carboys and then rack from there to the bottling bucket.

Back