Weird behavior with Windsor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfkehua

Reaction score
Hi,
I just did a porter using Danstar Windsor. First time using this dry yeast. The fermentation kicked in within 4 hours and was explosive the next morning, krausen all the way to the neck of the carboy. The following morning, I peeked and it seemed activity had almost completely halted. Krausen fell and 30 secs per bubble... All this within 48 hours... What gives????

Also, smelling slight hint of rotton egg from the air lock..

Anybody has experience with this yeast?? thanks.

Hi,
I just did a porter using Danstar Windsor. First time using this dry yeast. The fermentation kicked in within 4 hours and was explosive the next morning, krausen all the way to the neck of the carboy. The following morning, I peeked and it seemed activity had almost completely halted. Krausen fell and 30 secs per bubble... All this within 48 hours... What gives????

Also, smelling slight hint of rotton egg from the air lock..

Anybody has experience with this yeast?? thanks.

I've used this yeast several times with the same results. Also, it doesn't attenuate as much as some of the other yeasts, by design. I've never had the rotten egg odor, but many other posters have, and I'm sure it's normal. Sounds like a good fermentation going on.:tank:

Rotten eggs is sulfur - usually happens when stressed out yeast do their thing with little oxygen, which means you didn't aerate the wort enough when you put it into the fermenter.

It will dissipate, just leave it alone for a week or so to clean up, then check your gravities.

If never gotten suffer from that yeast either, but that could be because the temp you fermented at. It finishes quickly for me, within a couple days.

The rotton egg smell is gradually fading away now. Hope it really goes away in a week or two.
I never had a yeast that finishes in 2 days, so I was a bit worried. Bubbles have now completely halted now and I see the cloud starting to settle half way down the carboy. I'll check gravity in a few days.

Back