Who is in the 3-5% ABV Club???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I want to state very clearly that I LOVE beer.. :} I like to have a couple/few beers a day if I can, but I have actually gotten "old" enough that it is hard to enjoy this with the 6-9% bombs that are out there.. I love IPAs and Belgian beers, which are all in a race for bigger is better.. Don't get me wrong ad think I don't enjoy big beers, but I just can't enjoy them on a regular basis. I make a wide range of beers (yes some big), but I have the largest majority of them in the 3-5% ABV range.

Is anyone else out there in the same camp?

I'm still brewing at the 6-8% range most often, but I drink far less of it than I did years ago. I've been thinking of brewing some lighter options. (I'm 40, so age is starting to factor in. That and I have kids who don't need their dad to stumbling around the house.)

I *love* beers in the 6 to 8.5% range, but I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my weight down lately. Seems to be an age thing. Also I have no desire to get drunk, and seldom even a little "buzzed". So I'm investigating what I can brew in the 4.5% area, where I can drink 2 or 3 at a time.

Most American commercial brews weaker than 5% are kind of tasteless; I think I can do better. Probably English style special bitters...

Haha! timely thread for me! I used to(prior to brewing) love to hit the bigger ABV beers. Now that I started making my own beer, I'm drinking more often and have actually started to look into brewing beers that fall into lower abv styles. I want to drink more and not get drunk as quick. Also I'm a light weight compared to most people my age or not.

I'm still brewing at the 6-8% range most often, but I drink far less of it than I did years ago. I've been thinking of brewing some lighter options. (I'm 40, so age is starting to factor in. That and I have kids who don't need their dad to stumbling around the house.)

I have 5+yrs on you BigJack, and like you my age and kids have caught up with me as well..

I *love* beers in the 6 to 8.5% range, but I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my weight down lately. Seems to be an age thing. Also I have no desire to get drunk, and seldom even a little "buzzed". So I'm investigating what I can brew in the 4.5% area, where I can drink 2 or 3 at a time.

Most American commercial brews weaker than 5% are kind of tasteless; I think I can do better. Probably English style special bitters...

I typically have on tap an ESB, a pale ale, a "session" IPA, a Saison, a belgian, and a couple others. at least 75% of what I have is in the 3-5% range and is certainly full of flavor and not thin or watery.

I generally try to make beers and ciders around 4.5%. I've just found that this is the sweet spot for me that I can enjoy a couple without overdoing it.
I like a little buzz, but I hate to be drunk.

Right there with ya! I love a big RIS or DIPA but I'm good for 1-2 of those beers. I love those APAs that are around 5-6% but have the hop character of an IPA. Those are my jam!

I can appreciate a big IPA or stout every once in a while, but for everyday consumption and brewing, I like to stay below 6%. In fact, I am only brewing session ales for the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I love drinking high gravity beers, but I have never brewed one. All the beers I've brewed so far have been between 4.0% and 5.2% (the three most recent ones were: 4.7%, 4.9%, and 4.8%). I have made a cider that was 7.5%, but I've never made a beer that was higher than 5.2%, all of them falling into the "session ale" range.

I'm planning on brewing an American double IPA next, but I don't plan on it being 8% or 9% like so many of the modern American double IPAs that are out there. It'll probably be closer to 5% or maybe even 6%.

I keep trying to make one in the mid 4's, but always end up somewhere in the mid to high 5's. My 5's always end up in the 6's.

Apparently I'm either doing something wrong, or horribly right.

Gonna try for the 3's next, hopefully that'll get me in the 4's when everythings said and done.

Definitely. I haven't had much desire to make anything above about 5% since I started homebrewing. One of my goals when I started homebrewing was to make a pile of tasty beers in the 3.5-4.5% range.

My best lower ABV beers have had a much higher percentage of the grist as specialty grains -- usually a bit of darker crystal and maybe some roasted barley, chocolate, or even melanoidin -- to make up for the lower gravity. I've had great luck with bitters, milds, and red to brown ales at this strength, a bit less with hoppy pales.

I've never brewed anything in the 3% range but I too prefer moderate abv beers from 5-6.5% range most commonly. I do make stronger beers and my Weizenbock averages 7.5% but I prefer to not go too crazy since I like my beers more sessionable than straight out knock me on my arse. My favorite pumpkin ale, Weyerbacher, is 8% but when I make my pumpkin ale I brew a 6.5% one and I much prefer that since I can drink more and enjoy them instead of getting blitzed. My defactos are typically 5% beers though.

Rev.

Right now I have beers at 3.7, 4.3, 4.8, and 5.3. I like keeping them small but anytime I use 3711 I end up over 5%, thus a 5.3 ABV beer right now. There is so much to explore with small beers!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates the "sessionable" side of homebrewing. This is my goal for most of the brews that I make to keep on tap. I really like the more flavorful brews, but I also like to keep the ABV level down so I can enjoy them in greater quantity. Most of my house "tap beers" are in the 4%-5% range. I've even been relatively successful at tweaking some of the clone recipes down to more sessionable levels, like Yooper's DFH 60 clone, and my buddy's version of Zombie Dust. I usually have a pale ale on tap, really close to SNPA, but only a 4% version, as well as a house brown ale. My third tap rotates to whatever the season might put me in the mood for. One thing I've found that helps crank the flavor up and keep the ABV down is I will lower the base grain a little, then mash at a higher temp than the recipe recommends...this works for me most of the time.

English session ales for me. Would love to say I've found the perfect 3.5-4.5% but I keep trying. Some too "brown/earthy" some too "thin". So like most things, I'll keep practicing.

That's pretty much all I brew and drink. I like beer, and I like having more than one. Sometimes several more than one. I don't like waking up with a headache.

thats mostly what i like. usually between 3.5 and 6% i like the beer but like to stay coherent. couple of big beers and im usually buzzed dont like that

I'm 48, and figure why waste my time with small beers (<4.5% abv). I don't want to drink more than a couple or three at once so I want to get a decent buzz from a few.

Call me kooky...

I tend to brew between 4 and 6% myself. Just poured an Irish stout which came in around 3.7%. I can enjoy multiple pints without worrying about getting buzzed up.

Definitely. I haven't had much desire to make anything above about 5% since I started homebrewing. One of my goals when I started homebrewing was to make a pile of tasty beers in the 3.5-4.5% range.

Same here. I'm simply not a fan of big, 'weekend' beers, although I just bottled a hefty DIPA for some family members who like a bigger, hoppier brew. Not my first choice, but not because of higher ABV. I have a 6.2 imp. stout in storage that I love, but because of the taste. Two of my favorite weekday brews are an Am. Wheat and an APA, both finishing @ 4.2.

Great thread here! I love lower ABV brews. I typically stick with bitters and mild brown ales. I brewed a happy accident mild at 3.2% (by way of a bad brewday) and it turned out delicious. Goes to show, never give up on a beer. But ya, bitters, and pale ales all the way. Plus you can turn 'em around faster. Having said that I have a porter/stout (call it a storter) on tap right now at ~5.2% that is tasty but I am drinking it slllowwwwlly and it is taking forever to get through the keg. I need to finish it off so I can free up a space in my kegerator for my keg of special bitter that is sitting on deck.
Cheers to quaffable beer man!

I have a breakfast stout that is on tap starting in late September thru April. I is big in flavor yet small in ABV..

There's a time and a place for all. Sometimes 10 ounces of a big RIS, but other days a couple pints of 4.5% IPA is what I'm after.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Don't like drinking for hours on end except when we are sitting around playing cards which is only a couple of times a year. I like my beers big and have pushed a few over 10% and one over 12%. My thoughts on the subject and many others. ... "Go big or go home and put on your diaper" if you can't handle a few of my beers then you probably shouldn't be drinking. That being said I have made a beer or two in the sub 5.5 range and was able to satisfy the people who like to spend their time peeing.

I lean heavily in the 5% range, but wander up and down a bit......... zero interest in really big beers. I've made one or two in the 8% range, and I have one that comes in right about 2% that is wonderfully light and complex......... I seldom repeat a beer, but this one get's repeated fairly frequently......... It's just so good that I have to go there again and again.
I've got 19 years on you........ and find that my body doesn't get along with alcohol as well as it once did.

H.W.

Don't like drinking for hours on end except when we are sitting around playing cards which is only a couple of times a year. I like my beers big and have pushed a few over 10% and one over 12%. My thoughts on the subject and many others. ... "Go big or go home and put on your diaper" if you can't handle a few of my beers then you probably shouldn't be drinking. That being said I have made a beer or two in the sub 5.5 range and was able to satisfy the people who like to spend their time peeing.

I used to be of the same mindset, bur for me at this point drinking 3 lower ABVs as opposed to 3* 8% IPAs is more in line with what works for me. Now just to be clear I do still make kicka$$ IPA and Belgian golden strong that everyone loves, but few have mastered drinking..&#55357;&#56835;

I have been trying to maintain sub 4.5% beers on my menu regularly. The problem is, they are easy to drink and I will drink them when my 'heavy' beers get to my head. Which means they end up going faster than all the others, as they make great week-day drinks, as well as weekend fillers and in-between drinks. Most recently I had a Falconer's Flight 7 C's Pale ale that came in under 4% that is quite fine to drink. Definitely a hop forward, though not bitter, session beer.

Am looking for recipes that are 4.5 and below. Love the the taste of beer but can do without the alcohol. The only buzz I need is when I do a hive inspection to check my bees. Am looking for recipes for session and small beers if you have some good ones.

I am definetly in the "Session Beer" club!! Most of my beers are under 5% and I would really like to make some that are under 4%. Judging by the response here I can see why so many breweries are really stepping up their "session beer" game. It makes sense on many levels...cheaper to make but sells for the same price.

I am definetly in the "Session Beer" club!! Most of my beers are under 5% and I would really like to make some that are under 4%. Judging by the response here I can see why so many breweries are really stepping up their "session beer" game. It makes sense on many levels...cheaper to make but sells for the same price.

Problem is that I really don't know or have seen any session craft beer selling in my neck of the woods (Cincinnati Ohio)

The comments about diapers are incredibly offensive.......... It falls into the same category as using the N word or the C word or Q word, or the FP expression..... all of which I would print in full except for the tender sensibilities of our moderators.

The FBPC (Federal Bureau of Political Correctness) is also worth considering.... I really don't want my phone tapped and a dossier started ;-)............ NOTHING is so offensive to me as political correctness....NOTHING!!

Reduced alcohol tolerance is a medical condition just like alcoholism is a medical condition. It's not something to be ashamed of or hide in the closet. Your ability to down vast amounts of ethanol and remain upright may be a matter of pride to you obviously.... but it is in fact a rather hollow accomplishment. It falls into the same category as being proud of being born white! I don't know about you, but I didn't have any say in the matter.

Reduced alcohol tolerance can have serious consequences, both social and sexual, but it is NOT taken seriously by the medical community......... Just imagine going to your doctor and asking for treatment for this problem!! I live in a VERY small town. I can just imagine the nurses trying to maintain a straight face while dealing with me, and the explosion of laughter as I walked out the door!! Soon every single woman in town would know I was a "lightweight"............. That could be a real liability.

H.W.

I usually have at least one thing on tap in the 3-3.5 range. I make some pretty magnificent brown ales in that range and I really love my Irish stouts which usually are in that range as well. About half the time I'll have an IPA or a Maibock on tap which comes in over 6%, but most of my beers are around 4-5%.

A while back I did a parti-gyle brew from the grain in a 5-gallon batch of RIS. Second runnings produced 2.5 gallons of a nice 3.9% brown ale. So I can have the best of both worlds: a big beer to sip and enjoy, and a small one for when I just want to drink several and not fall out of my chair.

Back