Grilling Deer? Where'd You Get The Deer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed this week a light hybrid for my, soon to be 6 year old, son's birthday party. I had a buddy helping me....

... He was talking to his wife on the phone. He kept on telling her we're brewing beer. "No, we're brewing beer." She's like. "You're grilling deer? Where did you get the deer?"

This is somewhat of a spur of the moment recipe made it up on the fly at the LHBS. Need/wanted to make a lighter flavor-ful beer with low bitterness for the reletives and friends. This will accompany a low ABV Cran-Apple Cider made with S-04.

Here it is;

Grillindeere Irish American Ale

4 lbs Pale Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb of Flaked Oats
1 lb of Flaked Rice

Mashed 60 minutes at grist ratio of 1.25 quarts/lb. Then batch sparged to obtain 6 gallons in the brew kettle. Got 85% efficiency, while shooting for 75%.

60 minute boil with 1 oz. Hattellertau 4.1%

Chilled with my chiller and then pitched Safale-04

Its about done now. This was about four days ago. S-04 works fast... (Will Primary 21 days) Plan to drink 2nd week of December, kegged served on tap #1 on my jocky box.... with Cran-Apple Cider on tap #2.

Ending notes.

OG - 1.044
FG - 1.012
SRM - 4
IBU - 15.6

Anyhow this is how I got Grillindeere Beer...

Thoughts Welcome!

Sounds pretty good. I wish that I had some venison to put on my grill.

So 8lbs of grist makes 5 gallons of beer? Huh. I use some 6lbs in my PM recipes, on average.This might be an interesting way to try AG? I do pb/pm biab currently in my 5 gallon SS MT/BK. Might be a fun thing to try?...:mug:

Yup, it works if I get more than 75% efficiency.

85-90% is typical for me.

I mash longer and do iodine tests for starch.

So @ 1 1/2 quarts per pound of grain, that'd be 3 gallons of water for 8 pounds of grain. It'll be close in my 5 gallon kettle if not right at the top or more.

So that'd be 2 1/2 gallons of mash wort. The sparge to get 3 1/2 gallons boil volume in my case. Top off to 5 gallons with chilled spring water would work in my 5G kettle..

Does this clear or is it always hazy? Oats make me think hazy, not what I'd expect in a lower gravity beer.

After dialing in the main recipe, which i love, I've also made several variations of your "really triple hopped" recipe, and all were great!

I'm seriously thinking of trying this myself. I never stopped to think about lower gravity beers in relation to amount of grist. Good thread! :mug:

Does this clear or is it always hazy? Oats make me think hazy, not what I'd expect in a lower gravity beer.

After dialing in the main recipe, which i love, I've also made several variations of your "really triple hopped" recipe, and all were great!

You know, I'm not sure. I have drank several but never really looked to closely to tell if there is a haze or whether it's condensation on the glass. I check for sure tonight.

I'm glad you liked them. You'll like this one too. This is smooth and has a really nice creamy head.

There is a little haze, less than a Blue Moon would have... I forgot to add Irish Moss. Maybe next time.

grillindere-20141217_171804-64531.jpg

You had my attention, then made me drink my sorrows in another beer. I got a nice 9 pointer opening morning. But, I gave it to a friend, three of us hunt together every year. His family eats venison instead of beef and that was the only deer any of us got. He and his family will use and enjoy it more, but man am I hankeren for a venison roast! Goes great with a stout!

Latest posts

Back