I joined the krausen blowout club tonight!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaloo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Came home to a beautiful krausen tonight... 2 Hours later it was overflowing my bubbler... Never used a blow off tube before... So I had to rig one from my old raking cane and some tubing.... All is well again.... I hope...

Used starsan to sanitize everything... But it is blowing out so good that I don't think anything could get in there if it wanted too...

Will check it before I retire....

Baloo

Better than my incident. Mine erupted with enough force to explode my airlock into the ceiling and break it.

Needless to say wort was on the ceiling as well as every other surface in my ferm room.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1st pic was around 15 hours after pitching.... 2nd pic 2 hours after that.. got worried aft r reading horror stories in the forum... and rigged up this blow off bandaid...

Most active fermentation I have ever had.

BTW... brewing a Samuel smith chocolate stout clone put together by my LHBS.

1413894438606.jpg

1413894466110.jpg

1413894478809.jpg

This reminds me of one I still chuckle about from a couple years ago. My wife & I were watching videos at the point where the fermenter stand was still in front of her to the right of the computer hutch. W were just raising our glasses for a sip when there was a loud POP! from one of the fermenters right in front of her. Luckily, no shizz splatter in her face! So quite a bit of pressure can build up rather quickly during initial fermentation. I top off to recipe volume with well-chilled spring water to get the chilled wort temp of some 75F down to 65F or so. This seems to negate so many blow-off rig needs.

This is neither a good thing or a bad thing. But if you don't want to be cleaning krausen off the ceiling, start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube.

I have done close to the same recipe, using the same yeast and one will blow and another will not.

Unless you have a very large headspace you will get a blow off at some point.

Doh!

For these reasons, I never use the 3 piece other than for secondary ferm. I do a blowout to a mason jar filled with starsan, works great! Make sure you change out the fluid in your 3 piece now...
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413905241.343403.jpg

Haven't had a blow-off yet, I'm hoping it's due to typically fermenting on the cold side of the yeast ranges.

Blow offs are usually indicative of an fermentation that's too warm.

I've been pitching around 58-60F and letting the temp slowly rise to 65 over the next few days.

Better than my incident. Mine erupted with enough force to explode my airlock into the ceiling and break it.

Needless to say wort was on the ceiling as well as every other surface in my ferm room.

That means it smells like a brew cave. What's the problem? :mug:

Anyone thinking of putting a full, loaded carboy on carpet to ferment should stop and consider the virtues of Rubbermaid/Sterilite containers.

Just sayin'.

(and I love these posts that show pictures of blowout everywhere, happens to all of us eventually.... :eek: )

Edited for clarity, because ChefRex (below) is right on the money.

Sam Smith's chocolate stout? Care to share your recipe???

Ya well 4 brews and that never happened. I'm kinda new to brewing and this was my first blow out. The carpet is fine but I got my chest freezer this week so hopefully with the temp regulator and blowoff tube I won't have any more messes.

Back