Using kmeta with beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
Please forgive my newness to the beer making hobby. I've been doing wine where we routinely add kmeta to wine before bottling for shelf life. Do we also do this with beer?

No.

When fermentation is complete, you transfer to the bottling bucket and add priming sugar. You need live yeast to provide carbonation.

If you keg, you can carbonate with pressure so yeah, you could kill the yeast. But, why bother? It serves no purpose.

brottman, also do not use K2S2O5 as a beer sanitizer either. I
While it works for wine it's not strong enough for beer.

I use StarSan for my wine, so i'll keep using that for my beer. Even with wine/cider, I can add kmeta a day or two before bottling and still achieve carbonation with priming sugar. I don't think kmeta kills yeast. Why wouldn't kmeta serve the purpose of increasing shelf life?

I use StarSan for my wine, so i'll keep using that for my beer. Even with wine/cider, I can add kmeta a day or two before bottling and still achieve carbonation with priming sugar. I don't think kmeta kills yeast. Why wouldn't kmeta serve the purpose of increasing shelf life?

The reason winemakers add kmeta is because it is an antioxidant and preservative. I guess it could work for beer, but it takes a while for the sulfites to dissipate and I'm usually drinking my beer in a couple of weeks instead of a couple of months.

It's unnecessary and likely counter-productive. Sulfite stuns and retards the activity of micro organisms, yeast included. Live yeast in bottle-conditioned beer helps both extend the beer's shelf life and conditions the beer during aging.
Sulfite would interfere with this activity. Not to mention that as Yooper has said you may wind up with some acidic/sulfury tastes.

Latest posts

Back