German Pale Ale Style Category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
Hi I brewed what I would call a german pale ale. Similar malt profile to an american pale ale (although more munich/aromatic then I would put into an american version) but with german hops and wyeast 1007 (german ale yeast).

I think it turned out pretty good and was thinking of entering it into a competition, but I'm not sure which style category it fits into. There isn't one for german pale (only english/scottish/american/belgian). It's not a wheat beer, it's darker than a kolsch (i used some crystal 40 and didn't use that distinctive kolsch yeast), but lighter than an alt. (definitely not amber in color more of a sierra nevada pale ale color) Would it be speciality? Seems strange to me that the style guides wouldn't have a german pale ale category.

Thanks in advance.

Seems strange to me that the style guides wouldn't have a german pale ale category.

That's because there is no German pale ale, at least in the sense of the Anglo/American types.

You could always enter it in the experimental category or depending on the beer's flavor and hop profile put it in the standard pale ale category or call it an altbier.

Depending on the hop variety that you used. You might consider entering the "Specialty" category as a Munster Alt. Google the BJCP Style Guidelines for Munster Alt and see how your beer compares.

This is my house ale. I have been brewing this for years now. Promash didn't have the style, so I made my own. Of course I can't enter it in competitions, so I have to just drink it. If you use a clean german ale yeast, ( I use Wyeast 1007 ) it is almost lager like.

Thanks! I hadn't noticed the description of a Munster Alt. While not exactly the same (mine isn't sour and doesn't use wheat) it is lighter in color and lower in gravity. I think this confirms for me that I need to enter this into the specialty category regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Definitely in the specialty category. You do not need to list a base style in that category. Munster alt is very specific and has a distinct flavor that includes a bit of sourness and is usually a bit cloudy. Pinkus Alt is readily available in the US and is really the only brewery brewing that style if you would like to compare. I'd say calling it a German Pale ale and listing ingredients on the entry will get you where you need to go.

I just read the latest (10-21-14) issue of the Beersmith newsletter. It's about Biere de garde. It sounds a lot like what you described.

Back