Winerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman80403

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been a homebrewer and member of the forums for a number of years, but haven't been too active. I've gleaned a lot of great information and inspiration from these forums over the years and thought I'd give back by posting my winerator build. I hope you enjoy!

This build was a fun and educational process. I certainly made mistakes along the way and if I were to do it again, I'd do it in a different order and make different choices. I really just made things up as I went, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. This is an abridged version of my build.

I purchased a used wine barrel from a winery in Nappa Valley, California. It was raining the day it arrived. The barrel was in pretty poor shape, but I knew gorgeous wood was beneath all the damage.
lfczcR4.jpg

q0EPKJF.jpg

The first thing I did was to set up the tower and formulate a vision for what to do with it. I obviously had to fit a couple kegs in the barrel, but I didn't know if I wanted to have the top lift off to access the interior or cut a door in the side.
Ygg4rro.jpg

I started, perhaps naively, by cutting a hole and screw holes for the tower.
9ZzBXHv.jpg

I decided to use an auger bit instead of the hole bit.
okvM76O.jpg

I then flipped the barrel over, measured out locations for the casters, and drilled screw holes for them. I also numbered the staves sequentially so I could reassemble them correctly later.
js04ZJv.jpg

The next step was to remove all the metal rings to get to the bare oak. Each ring had two nails holding it in.
nwx8zKZ.jpg

I then drilled (8 rings)*(32 staves) = (256 holes) in the metal rings for screws to hold it together. When not filled with wine, the barrel staves will begin to shrink and the barrel could fall apart otherwise. I drilled by eye trying to pick the location in the middle of the ring and stave. The screw holes did not come out in an exact grid pattern and I think it adds a nice rustic look.
XRv3FsY.jpg

AMq07IV.jpg

I had drilled the holes to the same diameter as the screws which I found out was a bad idea because the screws would bind and break if not driven exactly perpendicular to the hole. Later on, I had to re-drill the 256 holes a bit larger to prevent more broken screws. For the screws that broke, I either worked the broken pieces out or glued a screw head over the hole to make it look like an actual screw.
13FS6Lx.jpg

Taking the barrel apart.
Dcdxj1R.jpg

Z8WrRKp.jpg

The top and bottom were held together with pretty awesome joinery. Unfortunately, the lid split in two so I had to glue it back together. These pictures also show the incredibly poor condition the interior of the barrel was in.
9dyv9sF.jpg

8PkLKKs.jpg

dXPyXKo.jpg

2oecRvX.jpg

UsDldtH.jpg

Begin the long process of sanding down the barrel. I sanded the top piece, bottom piece, the outside top and bottom of the staves through 40, 80, 120, 220, and 320 grit. I sanded the inside of the staves through 120 grit. I thought it would be best to sand the outside middle of the staves once they were reassembled into the barrel so that they more smoothly fit together.
hrXtohe.jpg

la3sRkb.jpg

uhSw2NV.jpg

3jWTfCU.jpg

xO0inFe.jpg

wxnoasK.jpg

M4jp25J.jpg

b3ZDdFH.jpg

ikLOaUE.jpg

kRn64Nc.jpg

WNOHVhV.jpg

Storage during the sanding process.
4dd1BFf.jpg

I tested out the stain I was planning on using on parts that wouldn't be seen. I ended up liking it and using it on the whole barrel.
xWrDzRr.jpg

2nR28WB.jpg

gQjgaMp.jpg

Next I wanted to sand the rings to a bright shine, but after a number of hours with very little progress I realized that wasn't going to happen.
Y6eDbVQ.jpg

8kinot5.jpg

qLMZTF8.jpg

I decided to spray paint all the rings with two coats each of a primer and then a matte black finish. First, I sanded them with steel wool to remove most of the rust and nonuniformities.
HftcNjP.jpg

mfpeBx4.jpg

QujpmJb.jpg

oYJazWO.jpg

T894ufh.jpg

QW6rcKi.jpg

vz4FnlV.jpg

The next challenge was reassembling the barrel. I placed the staves in one ring and used packaging tape to hold them together at the top.
J4lOBUc.jpg

05IDQVj.jpg

It was a small challenge getting the top and bottom pieces of the barrel into place and at the angle I wanted while fitting the ring over the staves. I screwed the top and bottom rings into all the staves.
VguoxAN.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I had to deal with the too small screw holes and the screws that broke off. I just glued the screw heads onto the holes I couldn't fix.
wjBKrDN.jpg

uQaiNF4.jpg

I then sanded the main part of the barrel through 40, 80, 120, 220, and 320 grit.
PWLPtlF.jpg

Then I applied a couple layers of stain.
6MLLN0Q.jpg

Finish the assembly by reapplying the rings and casters and driving the rest of the screws. I used a mallet and a block of wood to fit the rings tight. I had to be careful because the spray paint on the inside of the rings would rub off on the stained wood.
WVZlB37.jpg

J7Wnlgk.jpg

5v2oCAS.jpg

vqy2HJL.jpg

The next step was tough to initiate. I decided to cut the access door into the back side of the barrel. I used a saw and a hack saw blade to cut the wood. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel for the metal.
TmLdmur.jpg

FyqEBzb.jpg

5guGsZX.jpg

vST9xNn.jpg

At first I used some wimpy hinges that were not up the the task at all.
A9Ku16z.jpg

YOgvq0E.jpg

Then I bought a gate hinge that is a lot more sturdy and matches better. I had to bend it with a mallet to match the curvature of the barrel. I would like to add a matching gate latch to secure the door. For now, it's a friction fit.
Rsf3Z5h.jpg

XPsyahF.jpg

And here's the finished winerator!
WzSr7dY.jpg

gXKFi7d.jpg

The winerator has tons of interior room fitting 4 Corny kegs and a 10lb nitrogen tank, although it only has 2 taps (for now). I'm certainly enjoying it as a beautiful piece of functional furniture. I hope you enjoyed the post and thanks for all your inspiration over the years!

A Festool sander, huh? Nice!!

So, maybe a dumb question, but do you make wine, or can you buy wine in bulk?

Ok so I just assumed that the winerator was because he was using a wine barrel. I had thought about using a wine barrel as a base for my taps on my deck, but the price tag for even a barrel that wasn't suitable for aging any more made me change my mind real quick. I am a pretty handy person but I don't think I would ever want to attempt to deconstruct a barrel and put it back together.

Wow- that is so awesome.

I turned around and looked at my wine dispensing system- two ugly corney kegs sitting next to the kegerator. I'm so jealous!

Yes, I make the wine I dispense in the barrel using kits from online retailers. I'm not aware of any kegged wine sellers, but they may be out there.

Thanks! I bought the Festool sander and a vacuum specifically for this project. As you've noticed, I have a carpeted "woodshop" so I wanted to control dust as best as possible. I didn't want to spend the countless hours sanding outside while being eaten by mosquitoes! http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com turned me on to Festool products. One day I plan on having a legitimate work shop and would rather buy quality tools now than buy junk now and quality later.

This really was quite a labor intensive project even with the power sander. I spent a few hours sanding every night for a couple months. Oak is tough stuff! For those that are interested, the barrel was about $200 shipped.

Latest posts

Back