My Ward labs report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally broke down and sent a sample of my well water off to ward labs for testing. I feel that all of my beers have been a bit lacking and I think my water may be the reason. I brew all styles and feel that my beers are a little "thin" or "watery".

I am just starting to dive in to water chemistry and profiles. Is there anything in this report that jumps out? I played with brewing water a little today, but didn't have time to fully read the instructions.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411455684.168894.jpg

That is as near ideal brewing water as you can get from a tap. Of course, filter with activated charcoal and/or use Campden to treat for chlorine and chloramines.

A great starting point is the water chemistry primer in the sticky section of this forum.

For a more advanced approach, brush up on your chemistry. The Bru'n Water Knowledge page (search google) is a great start, and the Palmer/Kaminsky book on Water is also great.

As for watery or thin beers, I would look at recipe and mashing technique. Yeast choice can also have an effect. Increasing chlorides slightly may emphasize a richer mouthfeel, but I would try dextrine malt additions first. Sulfate will emphasize a drier mouthfeel.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That water is almost perfect as a starting point. All the flavor ions are low and the modest bicarbonate content is easily neutralized with any acid for those brews that need less alkalinity. The only time when that water will be a little more of a challenge is when a little more alkalinity is needed. But again, the flavor ions are low so it will be feasible to use baking soda to add alkalinity.

Get brewing!

Wow, thank for the replies everyone. I had always suspected it was my technique and not the water that was the culprit, because when we brewed extract the beers were not as "thin" to me.

I will be sure to check out the water chem links and the primer sticky at the top of this forum.

HBT strikes again!!

thank you all!!

Latest posts

Back