Storing Unmilled Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwhaakej

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - first time poster, but been brewing for a while. Expanded a bit recently with a Keezer that I built and looking to increase brewing volume. So wondering if anyone has tips on how to store grains since I want to start buying more at once.

I'll only mill what I'm ready to use, but I'll probably have a mix of base malts and frequently used specialty malts.

Is there any difference in how well certain malts store? Chocolate vs crystal vs base pale malt for example?

Was thinking plastic bins would be a good way to go, but not sure how important it is to keep the grain absolutely airtight. I have a basement that is probably cool enough year round, but I don't think the air quality is good enough down there and I'd be concerned about the grain picking up moisture/smells.

All grains store just fine. Keep them cool and dry. If you need to make a choice between the 2, choose dry.

Plastic bins are perfect.

+1 to the above.

As you already said yourself, musty basement smells are a no-no. It is amazing how those basement smells penetrate everything, even your skin, given enough time.

Specialty grains, I get most through a group buy, go in ziplock bags inside plastic totes. I've had some for over a year and they are as fresh as when I got them. They never get hotter than 77°F, usually stay cooler. Whole sacks are stacked in a "spare" closet, at similar temps.

Plastic buckets from Lowes, the food grade, get the gamma lids... little more but WAY easier to open and easier on your fingers.

Yes, buckets and Gamma lids for bulk grain, lock and lock food storage containers for specialty grains.

Food Saver vacuum system for hops storage in the freezer.

Small vials with yeast water and glycerin for yeast storage in the freezer. Ice packs to counteract the defrost cycle.

food grade for sure. I was once told that you do not want the container to be airtight as the grain is still "alive". Not sure if that is true, but it is what I go by. I buy my base malt is 50# or 55# and just store the malt on the shelf in the bag it comes in.

Food grade buckets from Lowes and gamma lids have worked great for me. Not the cheapest option but definitely does the job well and its nice knowing I don't have to worry about mice getting into it

Food-grade 5-gal buckets and Gamma lids. I can get a 50lb sack of grain into two of those. Smaller amounts of specialty grains go in ziplocs, which I put inside another bucket. I store it all in my basement, which is cool and dry. Keeping grain away from heat, moisture and critters is key.

Hi all - first time poster, but been brewing for a while. Expanded a bit recently with a Keezer that I built and looking to increase brewing volume. So wondering if anyone has tips on how to store grains since I want to start buying more at once.

I'll only mill what I'm ready to use, but I'll probably have a mix of base malts and frequently used specialty malts.

Is there any difference in how well certain malts store? Chocolate vs crystal vs base pale malt for example?

Was thinking plastic bins would be a good way to go, but not sure how important it is to keep the grain absolutely airtight. I have a basement that is probably cool enough year round, but I don't think the air quality is good enough down there and I'd be concerned about the grain picking up moisture/smells.

All the malts will store for years. I'd say indefinitely.

Airtight is not important at all. Note, though, that mice/rats will chew through bags and even plastic to get to the grain, so if you have those guys around you will want to think about evasive action.

The thing you have to watch for is grain weevils. When you buy grain, there are weevil eggs in there. When the weather turns warm, they hatch and they will become a nuisance. Don't worry, they won't eat all your grain, but you will find them about the house. You can brew with them in your grain, no problem. Freezing the grain will kill them. The weevils won't touch the dark malts at all, but they love all the lighter ones. I'd say that anything 30L and lighter are game for the critters, darker is safe.

If your grain gets damp in any way it will mold.

You can store unmilled grain in any temperature.

Back