Igloo Marine 48-Quart Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this online and picked it up a couple of hours later from the local Walmart (see attached image). For $25 bucks it's hard to beat for a 48 qt cooler. It appears that Igloo now just produces an upgraded version of their marine line called the Igloo Marine Ultra, which is probably why this one is so cheap. I intend to use it as a mash tun for 5 gallon batches, but have not tested or modified it yet.

Igloo Marine 48 Qt.jpg

I have a question. I built a CPVC manifold for this mash tun. I am wondering what is typical for the residual wort that can be expected to be stuck in the tun after it is fully drained?

I got about a pint left over, when I tested it with water. I am wondering if I cut my slots too deep, or if that is within the realm of typical?

So long as you adjust your grain bill and water quantaties for the amount of loss you should be fine. So long as it is consistent you are set.

I have not tried it yet. I just did my first 5 gallon batch yesterday and that was an extract with specialty grains (mini mash in a bag). I did the Quaffable Irish Red recipe that's in the recipe section because I love reds, and also because there is an all grain version. That will probably be my first all grain. I had such a blast doing the mini mash thing yesterday that I am totally ready to do an all grain though. :ban:

I'm will test this cooler with just 155 degree water first though. Maybe this afternoon. I will post the results.

I've used this exact cooler for quite some time now. I posted a thread about the manifold I built for it as well. If I was more computer literate I'd post a link to it. It holds temps incredibly well I rarely lose more than 1 degree over an hour. You got a real good deal...

I use a very similar rig.
Mine is a Rubbermaid 48 QT, yanked the stock valve and replaced with a good metal ball valve.
I built a copper manifold, a sort of figure-8 design that fits flat to the floor.
I get about the same, a pint or so of wort left behind. I don't really worry too much about it, since I mostly fly sparge, that left behind is lower gravity.

I will most likely batch sparge first, and will probably use the aluminum foil with holes trick when I need to before building a sparge distributor when I need to, but I built the manifold instead of doing the stainless braid filter so that I could fly sparge in the future.

I'm really glad to see that it holds temperature so well for you Brewski! And I posted pictures of my manifold on your original thread, but I don't won't to waste any space posting them again here, and it is so close to your design it probably belongs in that thread anyway!

I have the 54 Qt in this style cooler. How do yall test how much wort yall lose due to grain absorption and equipment lose

Back