Control Panel Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkirkland

Reaction score
Almost done wiring up my control panel. I had some questions tho.
  1. I have a MAX 15a circuit, but all my switches at rated to 10a, is this ok
  2. The PID turns on the SSR, then the SSR turns on the contactor, this the correct order?
  3. For extending the K Type thermocouple. Can i use regular wire or do i need the special thermocouple wire for sheilding

I have an amp meter inline from the line in and with just the element firing i am a bit over 11a, so i still will have to account for a possibility of 2 mach pumps. Which say they are 1.4a each

#2 - PID turns on SSR, then SSR should be wired to contactor Normally Open Contacts - Contactor should be switched on externally

My comments in red:

Almost done wiring up my control panel. I had some questions tho.
  1. I have a MAX 15a circuit, but all my switches at rated to 10a, is this ok - Yes, no problem. Switches don't draw current. As long as your loads are 10a or less, your 10a switches will work.
  2. The PID turns on the SSR, then the SSR turns on the contactor, this the correct order? Sorta - the PID does turn on the SSR. The SSR turns on the element. The contactor is a secondary / redundant safety that goes in between the SSR and the element, and is turned on by a totally different switch you manually activate. That way the SSR doesn't accidentally fire the element when you don't want it to.
  3. For extending the K Type thermocouple. Can i use regular wire or do i need the special thermocouple wire for sheilding. - You need the special wire, thermocouples work by having two different metals in contact, and the resistance between those metals changes depending on the temperature at their intesecting point. If you don't use the right wiring, you can artificially change the resistance within the thermocouple and get false readings.

What are you planning to do? 15a isn't a lot of juice to be working with.
-Kevin

Back