Much needed advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon

Reaction score
I'm brewing a strawberry cream ale and it's been in the secondary fermenter for two weeks. It's really cloudy (like muddy water) and it has about 2-3 inches of sludge in the bottom. Can I rack it into a another carboy or is there a better/safer way to clear it up?

You can cold crash it in the fridge and the yeast should drop out if still floating around. That may help it some. I mainly rely on time. The longer my beers sit (4-5 weeks) the clearer they get. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I can't cold crash it but if I just leave it in the secondary it will be ok? I am also bottling it if that helps any.

Yeah you can help clear by moving to secondary but time definitely helps clear beer even in primary.

I would rack it to a tertiary to get it off that fruit. 2 weeks is already a long time to leave beer on fruit, in my opinion. Let it clear away from all those sludgy berry lees.

If you can't crash it in the fridge, put it in a tub full of ice, for as long as the ice lasts. It may not clear completely at that point either. How about this, leave it alone until it clears by itself? I am guessing you are a new brewer, I understand wanting to bottle your "creation" to drink it, but don't. Every green beer you drink, kills a great beer that never fully matured.

Ok I'll put it in a third and I'm really just waiting on bottles and caps. I forgot to order them...

Yeah you can help clear by moving to secondary but time definitely helps clear beer even in primary.

Moving to secondary does nothing to help clear a beer, It actually slows it down, because all the solids that are almost cleared in the primary (near, but not at the bottom) are then re-mixed and have to start again.

Ok I'll put it in a third and I'm really just waiting on bottles and caps. I forgot to order them...

Leave it alone:

1) See comment above.

2) Time will compact the sediment, and you will actually get more beer leaving it alone.

3) Unless there is a real reason for racking, you just add additional risk of contamination and aeration. Beer can sit on fruit for weeks/months with no problems.

Are there any signs of fermentation left? What were your ending hydrometer readings?
Every time you move (rack) your beer, not only do you lose more beer, but you also risk infection. Please, leave it alone. Oh, and by the way, leave it alone. Your wait will be rewarded, honest, ask Revvy, he will tell you all about not drinking your beer while it is still green.

Moving to secondary does nothing to help clear a beer, It actually slows it down, because all the solids that are almost cleared in the primary (near, but not at the bottom) are then re-mixed and have to start again.

Leave it alone:

1) See comment above.

2) Time will compact the sediment, and you will actually get more beer leaving it alone.

3) Unless there is a real reason for racking, you just add additional risk of contamination and aeration. Beer can sit on fruit for weeks/months with no problems.

You stole the words from me.

One more thing though, maybe add some pectin haze enzyme, it seems to help quite a bit in my fruit beers.

Whats wrong with cloudy Beer, is the taste affected in some way??? Maybe I hadn't heard;)

i don't mind cloudy beer but when i show off my beer to my friends that typically drink bush or some other massed produced beer i like for it to be clear.

Latest posts

Back