Contamination or.....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stavale8099

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently brewed a Patersbier, brewed with HG Trappist style yeast, and upon completion of fermentation it was racked to my carboy - standard practice every time I brew. However, a white 'film' appeared on the top and now it has white bubbles (these have appeared a week-plus after racking). I can only assume that this is contamination - which sucks because we are extremely careful about sanitizing our equipment. Thoughts? I am hoping that this is a by-product of maybe too high of a fermentation temp...

0812142008.jpg

Yup. My sanitation is quite good as well but I got it in 3 different buckets. Just happens I guess and with the summer maybe even easier to get. Don't toss it just take a sample and see if it tastes ok. Gonna keg mine after a while and if mine tastes fine.

I suggest tasting it. If it tastes okay I would let it sit for a few months if you don't immediately need the carboy. Those filmy bubbles look as though they could be Brett and may very well add some unique flavors to your beer. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ya think it's brett, mine started out small like that as well

211311d1405463058-brett-infection-my-esb-does-mean-20140715_181913.jpg

ended like:
209888d1404828423-brett-infection-my-esb-does-mean-10531137_10152230817827883_1551455378_n.jpg

This happened to me twice i racked a double batch from an open fermentor one 5 gallon carboy had very little headspace and the other had a great deal of headspace. Think the 02 did it because one was infected and the other was notImageUploadedByHome Brew1407954075.587577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi All,

I've done 11 extract/specialty grain recipes now, and this website has been a wealth of knowledge. This is my first time posting. Over a month ago, I brewed an oaked coffee stout. OG: 1.072. After a month in the primary, I racked to the secondary on top of these oak spirals which were soaked in Dogfish Head Coconut Rum for a month. At transfer, the gravity was 1.020...definitely higher than I wanted. I very gently rocked the carboy roughly every 24 hours for a few days in an attempt to roll the spirals and expose their entire circumference to the beer. I was out of town for 5 days and came back to the below picture. Is this a yeast raft, or a pellicle? My gut tells me it's the former because (1) I had a Belgian IPA in the very same carboy earlier this summer and although there was some of the same stuff on top, that BIPA came out phenomenal with no sour or band-aid flavors; and (2) the Wyeast Irish Ale yeast that I used is a top-cropper. Note: the airlock is bubbling, but I haven't taken a gravity reading since racking to secondary.
photo (3).jpg

Thanks all - I think I will let it chill out and see how it does later on. I'm not in a hurry to get it kegged...this beer was originally intended to get un-stick my high-gravity Pious clone. I haven't looked in that bucket yet since I transferred it on to the trub of the Patersbier, but now I have a feeling that I'm going to open it up and find a ton of Brett as well.
Cheers guys - I'll keep you posted!!!!

Back