Cider has a syrup consistency after primary...wth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdr411

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of cinnamon hard cider using juice from concentrate. I've done this a few times. This time, when I was taking my final gravity reading I noticed that as the last few drips pour out of the wine thief the cider left behind a strand, almost as if it was a light syrup. The gravity s below 1000, so maybe that's it? It smells fine, tastes fine, looks fine, but it's definitely thicker than normal. Has anyone ever experienced this before? As far as I know the fermentation went well. I've been monitoring it every few days and it was carrying on as normal. When I tasted it I could definitely feel the thickness of it in my mouth, like it's a light syrup. I'm confused lol

Did you use powdered cinnamon? Cinnamon can cause a mucilaginous substance to form in cider/wine/mead. It doesn't always, but it's most noticable when powdered cinnamon is used. The only other thing that comes to mind would be a bacterial infection. Have you noticed a consistency similar to eggwhites in the must? Sort of an "oilyness or ropiness"? That is a telltale sign of bacterial infection. Here's what Jack Keller had to say about bacterial infection:

"Oiliness or Ropiness: The wine develops an oily look with rope- like treads or strings appearing within it. It pours slowly and thickly with a consistency similar to egg whites, but neither its smell nor taste are effected. The culprit is a lactic acid bacterium and is only fatal to the wine if left untreated. Pour the wine into an open container with greater volume than required. Use an egg whip to beat the wine into a frothiness. Add two crushed Campden tablets per gallon of wine and stir these in with the egg whip. Cover with a sterile cloth and stir the wine every hour or so for about four hours. Return it to a sterile secondary and fit the airlock. After two days, run the wine through a wine filter and return it to another sterile secondary. Again, this problem, like most, can be prevented by pre- treating the must with Campden and sterilizing your equipment scrupulously."

I'm not saying it IS an infection, just saying it MIGHT be. It might also just be the cinnamon thing. Sorry I couldn't help more. Regards, GF.

Yes, I did use powdered cinnamon. And it was a different brand than I usually use, too. As for the infection, I think the yeast sediment/trub in the bottom had an egg-white-like consistency, I guess I would say ropey. But it sounds like he was referring to the must itself and mine is clear. I still have to rack the second affected batch so I'll keep a closer eye on it this time knowing these things. Thanks for the help, it's better than what I was going on which is nothing!

Back