Drill bit size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMan2004

Reaction score
So for a whopping $2 I bought a spigot to attach to my ale pail. The store said to use a 1" drill bit. I have a 1-1/8" at home but no 1" bit. Would that extra 1/8" make it leak? On the one hand I don't want to go buy another bit, but I also don't want to screw up the first time and end up buying another ale pail AND bit...

So for a whopping $2 I bought a spigot to attach to my ale pail. The store said to use a 1" drill bit. I have a 1-1/8" at home but no 1" bit. Would that extra 1/8" make it leak? On the one hand I don't want to go buy another bit, but I also don't want to screw up the first time and end up buying another ale pail AND bit...

Buy the step bit. I futzed around with other ways of doing it and was never happy with the results (ragged edges, leaks) until I got the step bit. Wish I would have just bought it in the first place.

Good to know. I am headed to the brew shop tomorrow to research false bottoms and spigot installation, so I might as well break down and get the step bit if I am going to install it myself. We will see what I find out tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice

"MetalMan2004", and you don't have a step bit?........Tsk, tsk, tsk.....:D

I do now! I guess that means I can keep my handle. Installed a spigot on my ale pail and on my mash tun the week. It all tested just fine, but it will get its real test this weekend when I attempt a barley wine.

Back