Bubbles in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grillsmith

Reaction score
I dry hopped a week ago and did not look at the beer since until last night. It seems to be bubbling with a lot of bubbles on the side wall and bubbling on the top layer. I screwed up and never took a hydrometer reading so I cannot say what I'm working with. Also the beer is merky ( I cannot see through the Carboy) do I need to let it ferment more even though it's in secondary or should I add more yeast or bottle now as the schedw suggests?

I dry hopped a week ago and did not look at the beer since until last night. It seems to be bubbling with a lot of bubbles on the side wall and bubbling on the top layer. I screwed up and never took a hydrometer reading so I cannot say what I'm working with. Also the beer is merky ( I cannot see through the Carboy) do I need to let it ferment more even though it's in secondary or should I add more yeast or bottle now as the schedw suggests?

So wait, was the fermentation done when you dry hopped the beer? Or are you saying you dry hopped when you added the beer to the fermenter? Also, do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

You generally want to wait for it to clear up before you bottle. If it is a 5 gallon batch then it is unlikely you will be able to see all the way through the carboy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406764837.478618.jpg there are bubbles on the side and on the top that weren't there when I dry hopped. The beer is very merky also as you can see.

View attachment 214500 there are bubbles on the side and on the top that weren't there when I dry hopped. The beer is very merky also as you can see.

To me it looks like the fermentation wasn't quite finished, it looks like there is a line of yeast and trubs on the bottom. It's probably fine, just make sure it's done fermenting before bottling; it may not clear up for a few days.

.......do I need to let it ferment more even though it's in secondary or should I add more yeast or bottle now as the schedw suggests?
So, I'm guessing that you transferred to a secondary vessel before adding your dry hops. The trouble with a one gallon batch is that a hydrometer sample is a large percent of your beer, so you don't want to over do it. You shouldn't need to add new yeast. Give it a week and take a hydrometer sample. If it's at your projected final gravity, take the airlock off, cover it with foil and a rubber band and stick it in you fridge. Give it a few days to clear and then bottle cold. Store the bottles at room temperature for a week or two before chilling one and trying it.

Back