Boiling Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I was at my LHBS, and I picked up Fermax yeast nutrient. The product was in a decanted plastic baggie with no instructions on it's use. Therefore, I decided to just pitch it into the cooled wort with my yeast. However, after I did this, I found people saying you should boil the Farmax for 15 mins. It has been over 24hrs and the yeast seem to be very active, so thats good. However, I just really concerned that the beer will be safe to drink.

I'm not a yeast expert but the nutrient I use in my starters came with instructions that said to add it to the boil with five minutes remaining. Seems to work fine--my starters kick ass.

--
th Cap'n in Portland, Oregon

Yes, I most definitely will boil it next time. I wonder if the yeast will still be able to utilize the nutrients regardless. I'd hate to have excess chemicals in my beer!:mad:

The manufacturers need to have an extra margin of safety, just in case of a bad batch and blaming their product for causing the product. If I remember correctly, 10 seconds @ 180*F kills basically everything. There are no known pathogens that grow in beer and are harmful to humans. I make my own yeast food by boiling bread yeast mixed with energizer, and it does seem to help fermentation. If I could only remember to add it when I am making hard cider...

I put it in both my starters and my BK. I use 1/2 tsp in each and use it in the last 10-15 mins, whenever I toss in the Whirfloc. I know I use a little too much in my starters but I am lazy and just use the same measuring spoon and haven't had any issues and the stuff is cheap and lasts forever anyways.

I use it in my yeast starter boil as well. The yeast don't mind extra nutrients

Latest posts

Back