Growler Longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFubar

Reaction score
Probably been asked but, how long will freshly filled growler last in the fridge as long as you don't crack it and pull a glass off it?... If you don't get any loss of carbonation it should be good for a while shouldn't it?

meh, unless you're filling a cold growler with a counter pressure filler there's going to be some oxidation and loss of carbonation. some people say weeks, but in my experience the beer takes a hit in quality even overnight. I guess it depends on how picky you are

It's a big glass bottle. Left unopened it'll perform just like its little siblings...

Cheers!

I disagree, the seal of a simple screw on growler is not the same as a bottle cap. There are better caps you can get that hold longer but I wouldn't keep one around longer than a week.

Well, I agree there are likely longevity issues with filling growlers at random stations.
And I may have been in error in assuming this was a "home brew" question.

For home brew, if you can fill a growler, there's CO2 around.
And a CO2 flush before filling eliminates any exposure to air.

It's no bigger a deal than doing a CO2 push from fermenter to keg (which is the only way to do it).

Random filling without flushing? Yeah, I'd kick that growler quickly if I ever did it...

Cheers!

I would say a couple days, maybe more or less depending on how it was handled and how sensitive you are to oxidation.

I rarely let my growlers stay full more than a few hours, though. :D

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I filled from my own kegerator. I guess I'll figure it out. I filled two growlers so I would have an empty keg for my next fill that's in the secondary now. I'm drinking it pretty quick so maybe it won't be an issue. I would think it should be more like it's cousin the little bottle too. As I said, we will see.. .LOL

I sent my grandpa a growler full of my Blonde Ale a while back, I filled it to the tip top using nothing but a picnic tap and put one of the better quality caps on it, (one that I'd used a hundred times I might add) and set it in his fridge. He forgot about it, as did I, and 6 months later he opened it (thinking it would be flat) and drank it. Said it was carbonated fine, and another family member had some as well she confirmed it was carbonated "good" too.

Now I'm not saying they'll all last that long, and I'm not saying you won't see a loss of quality either. My thoughts on storing growlers is, "They'll keep a lot longer than they'll last" if ya know what I mean.

Back