Raspberry fungus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siletzspey

Reaction score
I've been growing raspberries for 10+ years, and for the last 2 seasons have made some raspberry wine that my wife and I absolutely LOVE. This year I'm rebuilding the raspberry beds, so I'm having to buy some raspberries from local growers for eating and wine making.

Problem - I bought a flat of raspberries last week (about 6 pounds), and upon cleaning and freezing, I found a few berries with fungus on them. Small fuzzy white and green patches. I tossed out a dozen or so berries with obvious fungus patches.

Question - what are the chances some micro presence of fungus will doom my attempt to make wine from them? Can I add k-meta to uncrushed or crushed berries and counter any remaining fungus?

When googling for an answer, most just say "toss any bad berries", as though that's 100% adequate.

--SiletzSpey

When I've done berry wines, I've added a campden tablet per gallon, then waited 12-24 hours to pitch yeast.

Back