Saison yeast - is it a wild yeast that might poison my equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanT

Reaction score
A couple years back, i made myself a clone of Orval, and used the corresponding beir de mars wild yeast, and I was warned at the homebrew store that this yeast could get stuck in my equipment even after the cleaning process, and all future beers would have slight orval flavors.

Sure enough, that did happen. I just picked up homebrewing again recently, and got all new equipment, and also switched to kegging.

I would like to brew a saison. I'm wondering if saison yeast is the same sort of thing, where i am at risk of getting saison flavors in future beers.

I am using glass carboys, star san, PBR cleaner, and a keg. I'm more concerned about it getting stuck in the plastic tubing though.

Thanks!

Ryan

People sometimes add wild yeasts like brett to saisons, but those commercial saison yeasts in and of themselves do not contain this bacteria. Saison yeasts by themselves are no more a threat to your equipment than any yeast.

People sometimes add wild yeasts like brett to saisons, but those commercial saison yeasts in and of themselves do not contain this bacteria. Saison yeasts by themselves are no more a threat to your equipment than any yeast.

Brettanomyces is a yeast, not bacteria. It's what's used in Orval at bottling time as well. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "this bacteria." All yeast should die just the same from typical sanitation practices. If you've had brett live on from brew to brew, you need to replace your plastic equipment or revisit your sanitation practices, or both.

Saison yeast is classified as S. cerevisiae, just like any other brewer's yeast. Again, if your sanitation practices are solid, you should have nothing to worry about.

Back