Have you used PB2 in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sch21c

Reaction score
Making a peanut butter cup sweet stout and I'm almost ready to rack to secondary. Planning on adding PB2 & PB2 w/Chocolate to the secondary. I'm not sure what the best way to add is though.

Re-hydrate with boiling water (serves to liquefy and possibly some sanitization) or just add powder to the secondary.

Would like to hear what people have done with PB2 and what their experience has been.

Thanks! :mug:

I actually have a porter ready and was going to experiment with PB2 and Chocolate PB2 in 1 gallon jugs. I am thinking about mixing with boiling water then cooling and adding to secondary. Another thought I had was mixing it with vodka then adding.

Interested in hear others thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I thought about the vodka route (just used that making a tangerine blonde ale) but I think it'll wind up being a serious amount of vodka.

FYI, I went the boiling water route. Seemed safer and more likely to get good distribution rather than racking right onto the powder.

Nice, let know how it turns out. I have been procrastinating.

I used 4oz of PB2 in about 2 cups of boiling water in 1 gallon of a robust porter. I also did the same thing with the chocolate PB2 in another gallon.

I tasted it after 6 days and there is a great peanut butter flavor. The chocolate PB2 has a bit less peanut butter but a noticeable chocolate tone.

I will probably bottle this weekend. Excited to see how carbonation effects it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Going to bottle tomorrow. I used one jar (6.5oz I think) of PB2 last 15 minutes of the boil, then used 1lb PB2 and 1lb PB2 w/Chocolate in a slurry in the secondary. I didn't think there was enough chocolate flavor, so I added a couple ounces cocoa powder in a slurry to the secondary as well. Tomorrow's the big day to see what it smells/tastes like. Will let you know after the bottling is done.

Quick correction. I looked back at my notes and realized I only used the PB2 w/Chocolate in the secondary (not the other pound of plain PB2).

Just bottled the batch. I and two others both thought it tastes pretty much like a peanut butter cup. Bottled with about 3.8oz of priming sugar. I'm thinking a light carbonation will enhance the flavor and aroma characteristics of the peanut and chocolate.

I'm pleased with the way it came out. I think I'll have to brew this again soon, since I can see it going fast.

I used 4oz of PB2 in about 2 cups of boiling water in 1 gallon of a robust porter. I also did the same thing with the chocolate PB2 in another gallon.

I tasted it after 6 days and there is a great peanut butter flavor. The chocolate PB2 has a bit less peanut butter but a noticeable chocolate tone.

I will probably bottle this weekend. Excited to see how carbonation effects it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How did your 1 gallon batch of peanut butter porter come out?

How did your 1 gallon batch of peanut butter porter come out?
I realize this is an old thread, but I am planning to rack a 1-G batch to the secondary and wonder about the PB2 addition. I had added toward the end of the boil, but there was extensive clumping. I'll sample before adding more PB2. TIA.

Latest posts

Back