Propane powered Recirculating mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeldomSeen

Reaction score
I was brewing an oatmeal stout this last weekend, and was trying to do a 2 step mash, a protein rest at 122 degrees F, and then a saccarification rest at 156 degrees F.

I am using a 10 gallon bayou classic SS kettle w/ false bottom as my mash tun, and was pumping the mash out the bottom and into the top of the mash to recirculate and to stabilize the temperature.

I am using an Arduino with DBS sensor to monitor my temps. When I hit the 122 F temperature, I shut the flame off, but the temp kept rising to about 146.

I realize this has likely been covered before, but I tried a bunch of different search items and couldn't find anything pertinent.

Do I just need to heat to a lower temp and then let it rise over a fewminutes?

I'm assuming your temp sensor is in the side of the tank in the grain itself. For control with recirculation you should really have the sensor on the outlet to get a faster response

I'm assuming your temp sensor is in the side of the tank in the grain itself. For control with recirculation you should really have the sensor on the outlet to get a faster response
That's what I did after 5 batches on my new setup and it helped a ton. I didn't get a great crush on my grain resulting in terrible efficiency. Good was that controling my recirculating mash was MUCH easier and I feel more accurate coming out of the ball valve over the grain bed. The thermometers were off by a few degrees IIRC.

smugshot_4657099-XL.jpg

smugshot_6983849-XL.jpg

Back