Historical Beers Pre-prohibition Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Danstar Bry-97
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks 65f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week 70f
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
More color, alcohol, flavor and bittering than modern versions of Cream Ale.
Ingredients:

5 lbs 2 Row
3 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lbs 25l Honey Malt

Mash at 151f for 60 minutes

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 min of boil

1 oz Hallertau 4.3% pellets 60 min of boil
1 oz Hallertau 4.3% pellets 15 min of boil
1 oz Saaz 3.2% pellets flame out

I have used Cluster hops for bittering in my traditional Cream Ales. German noble hops were also known to be used for Cream Ales. Cluster hops work well for bittering but they aren't known for their aroma properties. I wanted some hop flavor and aroma in this pre-prohibition version.

Just wondering most of the Cream Ale recipes i see on here do a 90min Mash and boil,How did it turn out with 60?.

No DMS that I could detect. I even had a couple of pro brew pub brewers check and they gave it the thumbs up. Good conversion, nice dry refreshing finish.

My next beer (hopefully this weekend) will be a CAP but made with ale yeast -- and I'm also calling it a Pre-Prohibition Cream Ale. :) It's a little different than yours: 6.5# pale ale malt, 18 oz. cornflakes, 38 IBU's of Cluster hops, and US-05 yeast. (4 gallons) I'm thinking of adding just a little noble hops for aroma, but will probably just go straight Cluster.

I've made this with only a single addition of Cluster and it is good but I like the additon of the noble hop aroma and that may be more consistent with the early pilsner beers brewed by the German immigrant brewers. At least that's what some people say.

The template doesn't show up in mobile so I copied and pasted it from my pc. I hope this helps...
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Danstar Bry-97
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 24
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks 65f
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week 70f
Tasting Notes: More color, alcohol, flavor and bittering than modern versions of Cream Ale.

Ingredients:

5 lbs 2 Row
3 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lbs 25l Honey Malt

Mash at 151f for 60 minutes

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 min of boil

1 oz Hallertau 4.3% pellets 60 min of boil
1 oz Hallertau 4.3% pellets 15 min of boil
1 oz Saaz 3.2% pellets flame out

I'm going to venture to say that the bittering hops do not make that much of a difference.

How about the flavoring additions?

I have some US Goldings and Northern Brewer on hand that may be similar?

US Golding and Northern brewer aren't very similar to Hallertau and Saaz but this isn't a hoppy beer so these might also be good. Let me know.

It's actually German Brewers Gold that I have, not Northern Brewer.

I do have 21 grams of Saaz that I'll use at flame out and the 15 minute addition I may just use the Brewers Gold. Probably nugget for bittering to get the target ibu.

I brewed this today but changed the hop schedule.

I used .5 brewers gold at 60 and .5 at 15 and 3/4oz saaz knockout. The brewers gold is 5.9%.

Also it was very cold and I don't think mash temps held too well and I only ended with 71% efficiency at 1.043. Maybe it was the flaked corn because normally I get 80% with a SG this light.

Back