Brett/Sach Blend - to secondary or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreekBrewery

Reaction score
A couple weeks back I made a saison and pitched the Yeast Bay Saison/Brett blend at 70F. Boy did that vial smell awesome and the fermentation has been great as well!

I wanted to let the Brett work for a while, keeping it at 70F, to develop flavors. But at this temperature should I worry about the Sach, because there's so much of it, dying off and causing off flavors. Since Brett will eat some Sach from what I've read should I do a sloppy transfer to secondary taking some trub with?

This is my first run with Brett so thanks for helping the noob.

i'd just leave it in the primary, it should be perfectly safe, i've gone months without issue. if racking with help you rest easier, by all means do it tho

to offer an alternate opinion, i would rack. brett is indeed good at guarding against oxidation... to a certain point. depending how much air you've got in there, and whether or not you've opened it since fermentation finished, you could have too much O2 in there. racking to a smaller secondary for extended aging will allow you to reduce or eliminate the headspace above the beer.

what is your primary - a carboy or a bucket? if it's a bucket, i'd definitely transfer.

I'm using one of the new big mouth 6 gallon glass carboys. Since I do 5.5 gallon batches plus my OG was a little high so I diluted there isn't a whole lot of headspace. I've opened it once to check the gravity but that's it. Gravity was 1.07 and I'm expecting it to get a bit lower, shooting for 1.04, so I'll probably open it one maybe two more times.

EDIT: LOL, just noticed the gravity numbers. It's at 1.007 and I'm shooting for 1.004 which is was BeerSmith is telling me the FG should be.

I'm using one of the new big mouth 6 gallon glass carboys.
i believe the verdict is still out on how good a seal those big mouth lids make. i've read one report that they aren't the greatest.

I've opened it once to check the gravity but that's it. Gravity was 1.07 and I'm expecting it to get a bit lower, shooting for 1.04, so I'll probably open it one maybe two more times.
the issue with opening up the lid and taking a sample is that you're mixing the CO2-rich environment with O2-rich air from the outside. all this assumes that you have a decent seal from the outside, otherwise that O2 diffusion would have already happened.

but that's me and my concern/paranoia about letting in too much oxygen. other have stated it hasn't been a problem for them. choose your own adventure.

It's at 1.007 and I'm shooting for 1.004 which is was BeerSmith is telling me the FG should be.
i wouldn't put too much faith in an predicted FG of a brett beer. wouldn't be uncommon for the brett to take you lower.

Latest posts

Back