Ripple or Straight - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiddru

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question guys, but i searched the forums and could not find this specific answer...

Here is my question - Is there any significant difference (such as how vigorous of a boil) between a straight or ripple element? Is one better than another in practice? I am building a electric system with a 5500w element in the hot liquor tank and another in the boil kettle. My kettles are 30g each (Megapot 1.2s) and I am mounting them by welding a 2" ferrule on the kettle, and using the new style tri-clamp housings that Brewershardware.com sells. Therefore, I can fit either a ripple or straight element.

I have read that the ripple ones are a little more difficult to fit, but with my setup, I don't think that will be an issue. In addition, I read that they are a little more difficult to clean than the straight ones. So, if these things are true, then why would anyone use them unless they had other benefits? Is the boil more vigorous? Do they heat the water/wort faster? etc...

Thanks for the input guys!

I think the ripple elements are typically lower watt density which helps to prevent scorching your wort during the boil. I'm not sure if this matters in a hlt but something to consider in your boil kettle.

psubrewer is right. The ripple element is <50 watts per square inch which makes it ultra low watt density. If you were to stretch out a ripple element you would find it is longer than a straight element of the same rated wattage. The ripple element is a little more difficult to clean because it is longer and there are curves. Curves are always more difficult than straights, right?

Regarding vigor of the boil with a ripple or lower watt density of an element - it doesn't matter because the same amount of power is going into the boil with either type.

If you have any questions you should refer to the spreadsheet electricheat.xls. Google it and you'll find it.

Just make sure if you go the ripple route, make the hole for the element high enough so that you can twist the ripple element and still have clearance with the bottom of the kettle. Or have a way to mount the element through your hole without spinning the element.

Clearance shouldn't be an issue since the element is being installed with a tri-clamp fitting and separate housing. This means i won't have to rotate the element to get it in or mounted inside the kettle.

It sounds like the ripples are worth it even through they are more difficult to clean.

Do you guys have an opinion on the stainless base elements vs. the normal ones? I am not too worried about the rusting issue since it will be very easy to remove the elements to clean on this setup, but it is only an extra $60 for the 2 elements to go with ones with stainless bases?...

I do not use stainless bases in my hlt or bk.

Stainless may be a better value in the hlt as the element will not need to be removed for regular cleaning.

However, I can attest to the paramount importance of cleaning your bk element after each brew session....that is unless you enjoy ash tray flavored beer!

I don't see the value of the SS elements in the HLT or BK. For me they are easy enough to clean and dry.

My hlt element rusted no matter how much I tried to dry it. A layer of silicone caulk fixed that problem though. Rtv108 I think

some folks put a magnesium anode in the HLT (or all three vessels), I bought them a few years back but never installed... and I agree with tri-clamp fittings for ripple elements, it makes them so easy...

One point not mentioned here is that ULWD elements won't break as easily if fired up "dry" (not immersed in water).

When a regular element is fired up "dry" the element will pop fairly quickly (usually before you notice your mistake!) as there is no water to dissipate the heat.

While nobody means to fire up an element like this, mistakes do happen. Using ULWD elements provides you with a little bit of insurance against these human errors. Popping an element is about the last thing you want given that you've likely already milled your grain and have everything ready to go.

I use 5500W ULWD ripple elements with non-stainless bases. Never had any issues.

Kal

Back