Getting bigger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariando

Reaction score
I have a few all grain recipes I have made a couple of times. If I wanted to raise the abv from 5.5 ish to 10 or so to go big are there any general steps to do so. Trying to keep same flavors and style (within reason)

Use a brewing calculation program, like Brewer's Friend. If you keep track of your percentages on your grain bill, and match those as you scale up, you should get the same grain flavors.

Hops is a little trickier. The maximum IBU you can achieve is about 70, so that limits your ability to get the same bitterness in a larger beer. I use a chart that Biermuncher has in his recipes - you can find it here (I don't know where to find it otherwise). Find your bitterness/specific gravity combination on the chart, and plot where you need to be at the new specific gravity to be in the same flavor region.

It is, of course, possible that there is some program (BeerSmith, maybe) that will do all of this for you, automatically.

Black pearl from biermuncher is one I was thinking of kicking around.

If you are just trying to raise the abv, you can simply up the base malt (as it does not contribute as much to color or flavor) or add some extra light malt extract. You may have to adjust the mash temperature to keep the body where you want it. In my opinion you should not really need to mess with the specialty grains or hops as that will affect color/flavor/bitterness where you just seem to want more boozy bang for your buck. You can boost the abv some by adding corn sugar but I really would not put more than 10% of the fermentables as simple sugars as that can cause a cidery flavor. be sure to alter your pitch rates accordingly though, you do not want to stress your yeast.

Ty for the info. I will make some adjustments and try it out. Cheers to learning.

Back