Help with city water report - missing certain things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colrain

Reaction score
I've finally been able to track down some information on the water coming to my house. It has some helpful information such as calcium, chloride, sulphate and sodium but I seem to be missing some information for the water calculators - magnesium and bicarbonate etc.

I was hoping since I'm still new to water chemistry that some experienced members on the board could have a look at see if they can make sense of what my base levels would be for a stating point.

Cheers!

View attachment CrystalReportViewer1.pdf

Doesn't much matter as you haven't much of anything in the water anyway but all you need is there.

Your calcium is, for Sept, 9 mg/L ---> 9/20 = 0.45 mEq/L ---> 9*50/20 = 22.5 hardness (ppm as CaCO3). The report lists hardness as 22. IOW there isn't any magnesium (or only a trace). They don't report magnesium because it isn't there.

Your alkalinity is listed as 17 ppm as CaCO3 --> 17/50 = .34 mEq/L --> .34*61 = 20.7 mg/L bicarb (approximately). But knowing bicarb doesn't do you much good. Alkalinity is the important number.

For a starting point, see the Primer.

Latest posts

Back