IPA with added Wheat Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestS

Reaction score
Last week I attempted brewing an IPA. This is only my 3rd batch. Steeping 10oz of crystal and adding 7lbs LME at boil. 1oz centennial at 60, 1oz cascade at 15, and another .5oz cascade at 5mins. When Pitching used Safale US-05 dry ale yeast. As a rookie I felt I pitched while much to warm and feared killing off my yeast. Rather than taking an accurate temp reading I impulsively added half a packet of Safbrew WB-06. I just happened to have this extra pack in the fridge from a wheat I had previously brewed. It was unopened but I only pitched half the pack. The next few days fermentation was is in full violent mode. Today is 8 days and just dry hopped 1.5oz cascade. Question is how is all this going to affect the beer??

Just FYI, you have to be north of 100F before you kill off yeast at all, much less in mass quantity. You beer will taste like ass before you kill off yeast.

You might have some bananas in with the citrus from your hops. Fruit salad IPA? Or maybe you won't get much difference. It depends on a few factors, not the least of which is what temp it's been at throughout the process thus far.

I'm not sure. That's just where its been since the morning after

You don't know whether you're measuring ambient or wort temp?

In any case, just let it ride. Sneak a sample, if possible, maybe at dry hopping time. You can get a rough feel for what it might be like at that point. Don't expect it to taste like finished beer at that point, but you might be able to gauge ester level and the like.

Back