Moving 10+ cases of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoungrad

Reaction score
I am moving over 1000 miles away and I have 10 cases of maturing beer in bottles. I also have a 3 month old lambic in an ale pail (had a pellicle since week 2).

Right now I have the bottles packed 25 per case in Container Store old-fashioned milk crates - very tight fit with bottle against bottle but stackable, etc.

Any suggestions on how to move these aside from packing in car and driving? Will movers take these as is? If I pack each crate into a moving box? Any worries about bottles heating up in transit and bursting? I am moving to Florida.

Also, any ideas on the lambic? Options as I see them are moving the ale pail as is or bottling and letting it mature for 1-2 years in the bottles. This is my first lambic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure bottle on bottle packing is going to get you the best results. I'd get 10 cases of commercial beer boxes with the inserts.

If wrapping in newspaper has kept my Great-great-great-great-great's glassware intact for the last 200+ years while it's moved all over the country and back, I'm sure it'll keep your beer safe for a little highway drive.

Do not let the movers take it. The movers are there to move your stuff in a fast efficient manner. If you have anything that you believe cannot stand additional weight on top or an accidental kick to the side of the crate then you need to move it in your own car. I moved cross country and packed my computers and displays in my truck. Anything real fragile (a statue and a 5'x3' mirror) was wrapped by the moving company for a small fee. They take additional responsibility for things they wrap. The cases of beer will survive a ride down the highway though. the rubbing of the glass against glass doesn't seem to be a good idea though.

It depends on the moving company. I've used movers before where their policy is that every item had to be packed by them. They said it was to ensure the items were packed properly to avoid damage...but I'm fairly certain I would have packed things a lot better. They had a number of items on the list that they would not move, including alcohol, firearms, ammunition, food, and things with excess dirt.

I offered to disassemble my Webber grill, and the guy said "don't worry, we've got it" and just wrapped the whole thing in butcher block paper and tape. It's just a grill, but it was pretty funny to watch.

Additionally, if you've never used "professional" movers before, it can get pretty awkward. With that particular company (can't remember the name) the guys kept picking up my stuff and my roommate's stuff and asking "do you want this?"

Honestly if it were my choice, I would just make a road trip out of it and haul the beer. If it's too packed then you could always rent a small u-haul trailer. I'd put personal belongings, my computer, and my beer in that and have the shipping company move things like furniture, books, dishes, clothing, etc. Then you could hit all the breweries on your route to the new home! :mug:

It depends on the moving company. I've used movers before where their policy is that every item had to be packed by them. They said it was to ensure the items were packed properly to avoid damage...but I'm fairly certain I would have packed things a lot better. They had a number of items on the list that they would not move, including alcohol, firearms, ammunition, food, and things with excess dirt.

I offered to disassemble my Webber grill, and the guy said "don't worry, we've got it" and just wrapped the whole thing in butcher block paper and tape. It's just a grill, but it was pretty funny to watch.

Additionally, if you've never used "professional" movers before, it can get pretty awkward. With that particular company (can't remember the name) the guys kept picking up my stuff and my roommate's stuff and asking "do you want this?"

Honestly if it were my choice, I would just make a road trip out of it and haul the beer. If it's too packed then you could always rent a small u-haul trailer. I'd put personal belongings, my computer, and my beer in that and have the shipping company move things like furniture, books, dishes, clothing, etc. Then you could hit all the breweries on your route to the new home! :mug:

All good points. I pick companies that let me pack my own stuff. I do not let my computers, namely hard drives, out of sight for concern about lost data. It is in my nature (and profession) to be concerned about certain things. :)

I have used professional movers but never to move beer. It sounds like majority opinion is to move it myself? I was hoping to avoid that but it sounds like I might have to bite the bullet.

Thanks for the responses.

Why can't you just safely load your beers on the truck yourself in a safe corner? Or supervise while the movers load your valuable brews. As for the lambic you might as well just bottle in champagne bottles so there's no chance for bottle bombs if it continues fermenting, which it probably will. Moving a carboy or fermenter is probably not a good idea with all the swishing about. Using cardboard boxes with the inserts would probably be the best way to go moving everything. Or wrapping each in newspaper and placing in plastic tubs so they stack well.

I feel your pain since I just had to move about 10 cases 750 miles during the "polar vortex" praying they didn't all freeze and blow. Luckily only 1 did:rockin:

Back