Beer changing color in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeeroot

Reaction score
Not too sure what is happening here, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. I brewed an English-Style Mild Ale and transferred it to the secondary after fermentation finished. Everything looked good and it was the nice amber color that I was looking for. After a few days in secondary, I removed the towel that was wrapped around carboy to marvel at my masterpiece and was shocked. I found a very dark, almost black beer.

At first I thought that it was some April fools joke that my wife was playing on me, but she assures me that she is not messing with me. Has anyone ever had this happen?

20140329_083344.jpg

The beer before.
20140401_082319.jpg

The beer now.

The yeast is dropping out of suspension, making it less cloudy and making it appear darker. Plus, when beer is in a large volume like that, it always looks darker than it will in the glass. I bet when you pour it into a glass, it will be a perfect amber color.

The yeast is dropping out of suspension, making it less cloudy and making it appear darker. Plus, when beer is in a large volume like that, it always looks darker than it will in the glass. I bet when you pour it into a glass, it will be a perfect amber color.

I was hoping that's all it was. I've just never had a beer change appearance so drastically before. I'll pull a sample and check it out. Thanks.

I've had the same thing happen to me. I can't say for sure what it was, but after it was all said and done it looked fine in the glass.

Just pulled a sample. Yes, you guys are right, it is much better when viewed in a glass. I guess I should have done that to start with instead of getting worried about it. :smack: Thanks for your replies.

This was my first time using WLP013 London Ale yeast. Now I know to expect this with future uses.

Just pulled a sample. Yes, you guys are right, it is much better when viewed in a glass. I guess I should have done that to start with instead of getting worried about it. :smack: Thanks for your replies.

This was my first time using WLP013 London Ale yeast. Now I know to expect this with future uses.

No worries. Our brews are like our kids. You worry about them and it is only with time and experience that we realize that it is OK and to relax and see where we actually are.

RDWHAHB and all that.

Well, this beer turned out just fine. Actually, I just scored first place with it at the Mount Hope Brewfest. All that worrying over nothing. :rockin:

So you posted this at 8:18 this morning. Was the beer poured at 8:17 and consumed at 8:20 am?? If yes, why was I not invited???!!! :D

I noticed in the lighter colored pic that there's some rather dark trub at the bottom. That seems to account for the darker color settling out.:mug:

Back