Set it and forget it - Engage the beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitzy

Reaction score
Hey there HBT saviours!

Just strapped in my two first homebrewed kegs (best. day. ever.) , and am going with the set it and forget it method.

One question... do you engage the beer line when using the set it method?

Thanks everyone!

Hey there HBT saviours!

Just strapped in my two first homebrewed kegs (best. day. ever.) , and am going with the set it and forget it method.

One question... do you engage the beer line when using the set it method?

Thanks everyone!

I do and I don't, if it's in the fridge, I always hook it up to an open line, but that's because I have had bad results in the past with leaving beer line just sitting empty. I had one line go moldy, even though it was cleaned and sanitized. Air must have gotten in there, luckily I looked before I hooked it up. So I hook it up and draw off a couple of ounces to get beer in the lines.

I'm also incredibly impatient, and I like to have a taste every couple of days to see how it's coming. Also though, most of my beers are already half carbed because of my pipeline and I always have kegs sitting around for at least a week before they go on. Obviously, these get gas without being hooked up to any kind of out line as I'm just hitting them with a shot of CO2 here and there, before they go on.

I hope that makes sense. Seems a little bit like I'm rambling.

Yeah I always pour a tad out once I put the keg on. I just feel like it gets all the air out and completes the system. May be a mind over matter thing but it works.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks to you both! I just hooked it up. What's a few ounces to vanquish air eh?

Cheers!

Back