Smack pack isn't inflating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received my Wyeast 4766 yeast by UPS today. It was shipped with a ice pack, and it's about 0 F. outside today.

I unpacked my yeast pack, let it sit on the counter for 30 min. then set it on my Bunn coffee maker (the kind with the hot water tank). The top of the coffee maker is just mildly warm. I'd guess 80 - 90 deg. F.) because my house is only 68 deg. F.

After another 30 min. or so the smack pack felt just a little warmer than room temp. and I smacked it. It's been sitting on the counter for about 5 hours now, and it hasn't inflated at all.

Could I have thermally shocked the yeast or something? Why isn't it inflating? The instructions say it should be inflating in about 3 hours.

The 90 degree coffee maker might be too warm.

My VERY first lesson as a brewer with smack packs: "Smack the hell out of it".

My second lesson: Smack the hell out of it TWICE.

Make SURE you've broken the nutrient ball in there, the pack will do NOTHING if you don't.

It recommends giving them about 24 hours to inflate fully, though I've had some that don't get fully puffy until three days later.

If you haven't already, look into making starters. Starters server the same function as the smack paces (showing yeast is alive) but also built up cell counts so your fermentation is quick to start. This means you can literally open your box and pitch direct int othe starter wort without waiting for it to inflate.

Hope I made sense... I'm enjoying the finer grapefruit notes of Cascade hops in Haus Pale Ale.

I agree with Kevin.

Step 1 is making sure it's actually popped. I stopped "smacking" them and instead set it on the counter top and press on the inner pack hard with my palm until i feel it pop. then shake it up really well and keep running your hands over the package to make sure the inner nutrients have gotten out of the inner pack.

Step 2 is waiting. I always activate the day before brewing. Sometimes (if it's an old batch), you'll have to do it a few days before brewing. I think 1 day prior to brew per week it's old (or so I've heard).

Thanks guys. I thought for sure that it broke when I smacked it, as I couldn't feel the inner pack anymore. But, after reading your posts, I rechecked it. I still wasn't sure if I was feeling it or not, but I got it all squeezed into one corner and then pressed down with my fist. It took quite a bit of my body weight (and I'm not a small guy) but eventually I herd it pop, and drove a knuckle into the counter top...Ohch!

Then I shock the heck out of it. Waited 5 min. and shock the heck out of it again for good measure. I'll check it again in the morning, but I'm sure I'm on the right track know.

Thanks for the advice!

Yep. I tell you what...that was the problem. It's puffed up like a balloon now. Can't wait for my new air locks to arrive today, so I can pitch this stuff tonight.

Thanks for the help!

You can feel if both bags inside the pack are broken or still intact. If one or even both small bags inside are still intact then make sure you take care of that business. Otherwise it's not gonna work.

-Dan- said:
You can feel if both bags inside the pack are broken or still intact. If one or even both small bags inside are still intact then make sure you take care of that business. Otherwise it's not gonna work.
I'm thinking you're using a different brand of 'smack pack'. I thought they only had one 'inner' pack, so after pitching my yeast, and after seeing your post, I cut open the outer pack, and indeed there is only one 'inner' pack in ther.

I'm using Wyeast. Is there a different brand that uses two inner packs?

I've used Wyeast that had two packs inside before. I was worried once when I pitched my yeast and the pack fell out and only one was punctured. I talked to a guy at my LHBS and he said that there is usually one but it isn't that uncommon to get two.

never had two packs. i've read that it's 3 hours per week after culture, not one day, and my experience supports that. i've never had a pack take longer than 8-10 hours. after i smack i give it a shake whenever i walk by, and if i'm in a hurry to pitch into a starter (like if it's getting late and i want to sleep) i'll place the pack flat in the palm of my hand and slowly rock it back and forth. the constant agitation and warmth from my hand get it going very quickly. also, it's my understanding that the internal pack actually holds the yeast, and the wort/nutrient is in the larger package.

SenorWanderer said:
if i'm in a hurry to pitch into a starter (like if it's getting late and i want to sleep) i'll place the pack flat in the palm of my hand and slowly rock it back and forth.

If you're going to pitch to a starter, you don't really need to smack it at all. I just spray the pack down with sanitizer, spray down my beer scissors and then cut the top. Pitch that directly to starter and go to bed. :) The starter will show you if the yeast are alive which is the entire purpose of the smack packs.

that happened to me...didn't know what was going on so added it to the wort...needless to say beer tasted like band-aids!! Yeast was dead!!

Jesse17 said:
I'm using Wyeast. Is there a different brand that uses two inner packs?

All yeasts I had so far from Wyeast had two small packs inside. You can feel it when you have the pack in your hand and play around with it.

Back