Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #921
WaynesWorld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie Question

I mixed up my first ever batch of brew (Mr. Beer) on 01/01/2009. I think I may have done something extremely wrong. I mixed up a gallon of water with the booster and brought to a boil. I then added the West Coast Pale Ale plus a can of Alexanders Pale Extract Kicker and some Czech Saaz hops in a cheesecloth sack. the cheesecloth was sanitized as well as the string to tie it with in the "one step sanitizer. I did not place a sanitized marble in with the hops in order to get the hop sack to sink to the bottom. It is floating on top. Therein lies my problem. NOTHING ELSE IS FLOATING on top except for the cheesecloth hop sack. I see no yeast activity at all on top and this is Janurary 5th. Is my yeast bad? How would I know? I have some Nottingham beer yeast from an old one gallon kit from Barnes & Noble but would it still be good enough to add to this mixture? Should I add it to this mixture? There is a ring around the keg about 1/8 inch above the liquid level and it appears that there was some type of activity in the keg as there is some condensate up around the lid area. Have I ruined the contents? Should I leave it alone? PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR COMMENTS as I feel like I did 35 years ago when my first child was being born!!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #922
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld View Post
I mixed up my first ever batch of brew (Mr. Beer) on 01/01/2009. I think I may have done something extremely wrong. I mixed up a gallon of water with the booster and brought to a boil. I then added the West Coast Pale Ale plus a can of Alexanders Pale Extract Kicker and some Czech Saaz hops in a cheesecloth sack. the cheesecloth was sanitized as well as the string to tie it with in the "one step sanitizer. I did not place a sanitized marble in with the hops in order to get the hop sack to sink to the bottom. It is floating on top. Therein lies my problem. NOTHING ELSE IS FLOATING on top except for the cheesecloth hop sack. I see no yeast activity at all on top and this is Janurary 5th. Is my yeast bad? How would I know? I have some Nottingham beer yeast from an old one gallon kit from Barnes & Noble but would it still be good enough to add to this mixture? Should I add it to this mixture? There is a ring around the keg about 1/8 inch above the liquid level and it appears that there was some type of activity in the keg as there is some condensate up around the lid area. Have I ruined the contents? Should I leave it alone? PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR COMMENTS as I feel like I did 35 years ago when my first child was being born!!
Take a reading to see if you missed the fermentation. If you used Notty, you may have missed it. Notty can be real aggressive.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #923
dogfishandi
Recipes 

what temperature did you pitch your yeast at? also, what temp are you fermenting at?
WCPA

Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #924
dogfishandi
Recipes 

also, look with a flashlight on the side of the keg and see if you spot any bubbles, it may take a good minute or two and the bubbles are very small(atleast this was the case for my WCPA mix) but that should indicate whether it is fermenting.
WCPA

Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #925
WaynesWorld
Recipes 

Wow... you people are fast.... Ok, here we go... Impatient, I have a Mr. Beer fermentor which does not come with a means of measuring specific gravity. Newbies, remember? I therefore do not know what the "reading" is/was. Any other suggestions?
dogfishandi: the yeast was pitched when the temp was about 64 degrees F. I realize now that may have been too cool. But the Fermentor (Mr. Beer keg) was warmed via ambient temperature to 70 degrees F in about 3 hours. Also, I see no bubbling in the keg at all which is why I am so concerned.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #926
dogfishandi
Recipes 

you waited 3 hours after putting the wort in the fermentor to pitch ta he yeast? im not positive, but i thought you were supposed to cool the wort as fast as you can, thats why mr beer tells you to put water in the keg first, then pour the wort in, then ass more water, thats gettin your temperature down real fast, then you pitch your yeast. however, i myself am a newbie, some other guys on here can better help you.

now, for a question of my own, for my next batch, i wanna make a fairly strong IPA, and i wanna use malt extract other than mr. beer products, possibly dry malt extract, hops, and some good ale yeast. seeing how i just brewed an all malt porter with mr. beer products and it is foaming up a good deal, and fermentation is definately happening a lot more vigorously than the WCPA, brewing a beer with other products, exspecially yeast, i fear a blow off or worse a blow up. Has anyone had any expierience with this using MR. beer?
WCPA

Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #927
WaynesWorld
Recipes 

dogfishandi; the yeast was pitched exactly at the time Mr. Beer called for it which was dumping the warm wort into the cold water, then adding to the 8qt mark. stir vigorously, add the yeast, etc. etc. the temp at the time of all this happening was approx 64-66 degrees. ambient temp in the room was 70 degrees which is why the keg raised to 70 degrees after 3 hours. The Nottingham yeast came with the Alexander UME kicker and was not used. The yeast that WAS used came with the West Coast Pale Ale. My question for any experienced individuals out there is as follows: since there is NO yeast activity visible after 5 days, should I pitch the Nottingham now or hang tight and look for visible signs of fermentation. I am unable to take a specific gravity test as Mr. Beer is a "beginners" form of brewing and does not offer a means of taking SG measurements like other kits do. Are there any EXPERIENCED brewers on this forum who may be able to help with this situation? thank you.
-Wayne

Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #928
dogfishandi
Recipes 

sorry, misunderstood you
WCPA

Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #929
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Wow... you people are fast.... Ok, here we go... Impatient, I have a Mr. Beer fermentor which does not come with a means of measuring specific gravity. Newbies, remember? I therefore do not know what the "reading" is/was. Any other suggestions?
Taste it. Is it sweet? If it is sweet let it go for a couple of days and then taste it again to see if the sweetness is gone. At that point, pitch some more if you want. You could pitch more now if you don't mind the gas

Primary:
Secondary:

Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #930
impatient
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
dogfishandi; the yeast was pitched exactly at the time Mr. Beer called for it which was dumping the warm wort into the cold water, then adding to the 8qt mark. stir vigorously, add the yeast, etc. etc. the temp at the time of all this happening was approx 64-66 degrees. ambient temp in the room was 70 degrees which is why the keg raised to 70 degrees after 3 hours. The Nottingham yeast came with the Alexander UME kicker and was not used. The yeast that WAS used came with the West Coast Pale Ale. My question for any experienced individuals out there is as follows: since there is NO yeast activity visible after 5 days, should I pitch the Nottingham now or hang tight and look for visible signs of fermentation. I am unable to take a specific gravity test as Mr. Beer is a "beginners" form of brewing and does not offer a means of taking SG measurements like other kits do. Are there any EXPERIENCED brewers on this forum who may be able to help with this situation? thank you.
-Wayne
Pitch the Nottingham, it won't hurt the brew.

Primary:
Secondary: