Cyser help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a 3G batch of cyser with 5 pounds honey and then filled the Carboy with cold pasteurized cider. I pitched 71b and did fermK on days 1 and 4. I racked after 35 days. It was still giving a bubble or 2 per minute but i didn't want it on the yeast too long. The pic below was after 56 days in the mid to low 60's.

I still see small bubbles at the top of 2 of the 3 one gallon carboys. Obviously I racked too soon. Any suggestions to help the yeast clear this up?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393507329.992397.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If its still fermenting, you don't want the yeast to clear up.

Have you taken any gravity readings?

OG was around 1.070. My sheet is at home. I did not take another hydrometer reading when I racked as i didn't want to lose more to the sample. Can cyser sit on 71B for longer than a month? I thought off-flavors would be a bigger issue than lack of fermentation.

OG was around 1.070. My sheet is at home. I did not take another hydrometer reading when I racked as i didn't want to lose more to the sample. Can cyser sit on 71B for longer than a month? I thought off-flavors would be a bigger issue than lack of fermentation.

I made an apple cinnamon cyser that sat on 71B for almost 3 months. I did rack at around 2 months or so. Secondary for a month with a cinnamon stick. Turned out delicious. Give it time and it should clear up once things are done.

Even if you rack it there seems to be a lot of yeast still in suspension, if its still working its got gass in it, if you wanted to clear it with a fining agent like sparkaloid, you would have to rack it, degass it, fine it and stabalize it, or you could just be a little bit patient and let it settle out for a while longer, if you are worred about setting on the yeast you can of course rack it again but your headspace is starting to get a little big, you would have to top up to be safe. WVMJ

Seems I'll be waiting. I thought the weaker gravity would allow it to clear quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back