Dry hop pellet container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
I picked up home brewing about a month ago, and I unfortunately live in a country where homebrew supplies are hard to come by. I plan on dry hopping a brew that's currently in the primary, and was wondering if this steeping container I bought would adequately work.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392456631.272215.jpg

Is the mesh fine enough to keep most of the pellet junk in, while also being large enough to allow for full liquid penetration?

Thanks.

Hard to see, but I am going to guess that some hop gunk will escape. Put a few pellets in there and drop it in a bowl of water. Observe.

I may give that a shot, but I'm running low on my hop supply. I haven't ever seen how large the commercial hop bags are, so I didn't know how this mesh shapes up.

I understand that some hop material will pass through, but I'm just wondering if this will make my life any easier than simply tossing them in.

That's what I use, just a tea seeping ball. the mesh is pretty fine so you won't get too much gunk from it. Always has worked great for me, have fun.

You can also use washing bag (used for washing sox, panties etc.)

Sent from my HTC Desire 500 dual sim using Home Brew mobile app

That'll work. Don't fill it more than half full though, the hops expand like crazy when wet and you'll have a tightly packed wad of hops gunk with only the thin outer layer making contact and interior will stay dry.

I picked up home brewing about a month ago, and I unfortunately live in a country where homebrew supplies are hard to come by. I plan on dry hopping a brew that's currently in the primary, and was wondering if this steeping container I bought would adequately work.

Is the mesh fine enough to keep most of the pellet junk in, while also being large enough to allow for full liquid penetration?

Thanks.

Hopefully its stainless. I have one like this also that I rarely use. First few time I used it were great, attached it by dental floss and lowered into the fermenter. The last time I used it was to dry hop an IPA. 2 ounces was way too much for this thing. While they all fit, the water caused expansion which most likely limited the available surface area for the oils to leech out.

Doing it again I might use one ounce max in one of these.

Hopefully its stainless. I have one like this also that I rarely use. First few time I used it were great, attached it by dental floss and lowered into the fermenter. The last time I used it was to dry hop an IPA. 2 ounces was way too much for this thing. While they all fit, the water caused expansion which most likely limited the available surface area for the oils to leech out.

Doing it again I might use one ounce max in one of these.

Thanks for the info. Fortunately, my immediate needs are for small amounts of dry hopping.

Do you have access to womens stocking/nylons? These work in a pinch if the mesh on this device is to wide.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back