Recipe grain query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a 5Gl IPA batch this weekend and the Grain Bill is:
12.75 lbs Two Row
1 lb Carahell Weyermann
.75 lbs Munich
.25 lbs Crystal 40
I realised that I only have 12lbs of two row. I do have a full lb each of Munich and Crystal 40. So which of these should I bump up to make up for the missing .75 lbs of two row and by how much?

I would just go with the 12lbs or 2-row. Doubling the Munich or quadrupling the crystal would change the flavor profile a lot while simply not adding the extra .75lb of two row won't change the flavor profile much at all.

Were I to do what you suggest, I would probably go with .5lb Munich and .25lb crystal. Either way, you'll make good tasting beer.

Brew as is if you really want to make the recipe. Maybe you will get a little extra efficiency and it wont matter.

If you really want to add something, make it the Munich only, not the crystal. Adding crystal will just make the beer sweeter, Munich will add more malty flavor without the added sweetness.

You're headed toward a brown beer if you add either one. .75 isn't much just leave it out. You really won't miss it. Just do your water calculations accordingly.

I'm planning to brew a 5Gl IPA batch this weekend and the Grain Bill is:
12.75 lbs Two Row
1 lb Carahell Weyermann
.75 lbs Munich
.25 lbs Crystal 40
I realised that I only have 12lbs of two row. I do have a full lb each of Munich and Crystal 40. So which of these should I bump up to make up for the missing .75 lbs of two row and by how much?

Have any light DME around???

Have any light DME around???

No, I don't. This is only my third batch and I don't really have any spare ingredients that have built up, apart from some hops in the freezer. I'll probably just put in the 12lbs of two row and leave the others as they are.

You're only losing a few gravity points going from 12.75 to 12 lbs.
If you really want to make it up you could just use sugar.

You're only losing a few gravity points going from 12.75 to 12 lbs.
If you really want to make it up you could just use sugar.

I like this idea. With a IPA, finishing dry is actually a good thing, and with that grain bill's crystal additions, a little sugar would probably be a nice addition. Add about 7 oz of table sugar to make up the .004 points you'll lose with the 0.75 lbs of 2 row you're missing.

I like this idea. With a IPA, finishing dry is actually a good thing, and with that grain bill's crystal additions, a little sugar would probably be a nice addition. Add about 7 oz of table sugar to make up the .004 points you'll lose with the 0.75 lbs of 2 row you're missing.

When should I add the sugar?

When should I add the sugar?

I'd say anytime during the boil is fine

Some have advocated adding it into your primary after a few days of fermentation. The idea behind this is that the yeast will consume the simplest sugars first, that being the simple sugars of things like table sugar. Adding these simple sugars after some of the more complex sugars of the wort are consumed would, in theory, help the yeast attenuate better. I haven't experimented with this to know though.

In a recipe like this, I think adding it anytime duirng the boil would work great.

Back