Monster Mill setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlley

Reaction score
Ordered a shiny new monster mill mm-2 with a 1/2" shaft upgrade. I couldn't justify the extra $60 for the 2.0 version. I ordered the base and hopper too.

Looking for advice on setup. I seem to remember that it's good advice to replace the thumbscrews with capscrews. Gap width advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1/4 x 20 hex bolts to replace the thumbscrews.

Gap comes preset at 0.040, and depending on your system, it is one of the tweaks that you have to figure out.
I personally dialed mine to .037 and have been consistently 84% mash efficiency.

Enjoy that MM2!!! It is one of my best and most helpful acquisitions.

I thought I read on MM's site that you should crush at the default setting first then move from there. I can't help with the screws but the MM is on my list of things to buy eventually.

1/4 x 20 hex bolts to replace the thumbscrews.

Gap comes preset at 0.040, and depending on your system, it is one of the tweaks that you have to figure out.
I personally dialed mine to .037 and have been consistently 84% mash efficiency.

Enjoy that MM2!!! It is one of my best and most helpful acquisitions.

I've seen a bunch of people mention replacing the thumbscrews... Does anyone happen to have a picture of their mill after they replaced them?

Is it as simple as removing the original thumbscrews and putting the hex bolts in? Or is it more complicated then that? I don't want to end up removing the thumbscrews and have an issue replacing them.

I've seen a bunch of people mention replacing the thumbscrews... Does anyone happen to have a picture of their mill after they replaced them?

Is it as simple as removing the original thumbscrews and putting the hex bolts in? Or is it more complicated then that? I don't want to end up removing the thumbscrews and have an issue replacing them.

It is as simple as that....
:fro:

I love my MM2 and drive it with a HF 1/2" Low Speed drill, with that variable speed control wheel. It chews nicely through the grain.

Gapwise, 0.40 is too wide. I started with a regular credit card as a gauge. Just fit it tight enough so it engages the rollers. I think that would come out to about .034" and that is my minimum. It's down from there. I now use .030" and am happy with it, with high efficiency, and not too much flour. I batch sparge, and haven't had a stuck one yet.

Until I stopped them, American Express used to send me those thin cards with their monthly mailings, and they are around .028, and that works fine too, and is definitely good for wheat, which I run through by its own. Rye has even smaller kernels and may benefit from an even tighter gap, 0.022-0.024 perhaps?

Mill arrived today and got it all assembled (remarkably left Atlanta on Monday and arrived in New Jersey today of all days). It's awesome! Highly recommend the hopper and base instead of screwing around trying to make your own.

Anyone use the 1/2" low speed drill from harbor freight?

Mill arrived today and got it all assembled (remarkably left Atlanta on Monday and arrived in New Jersey today of all days). It's awesome! Highly recommend the hopper and base instead of screwing around trying to make your own.

Anyone use the 1/2" low speed drill from harbor freight?

Reply #9 said " I love my MM2 and drive it with a HF 1/2" Low Speed drill, with that variable speed control wheel. It chews nicely through the grain."

I would say the HF means Harbor Freight.

I use a Harbor Freight drill on my Corona style mill. It is a hammer drill model. (hammer off) It has no troubles at all.

I am running MM2 with low speed drill (paint mixer) and it is working geat.

Sent from my HTC Desire 500 dual sim using Home Brew mobile app

I can report success with the new mill. Using crush from LHBS the highest first runnings I ever saw was 1.082. Got 1.093 this morning.

Back