Dark Wheat Attempt - PLease Review Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cramar

Reaction score
Im about 10 batches into my brewing hobby, everything thus far has pretty much been wheat based from extract and now a few batches in stove top partial mash.
Ive got a solid wheat base recipe now so Id like to use my remaining grains and push the envelope a bit, Id welcome some feedback on trying to darken up my wheat a bit, the main thing is I pretty much have all the materials for a batch so Im trying to stuff in a bit extra without going over board.

Total size = 6 gallon in the fermentor
3 lb wheat extract
5 lb wheat malt
1 lb Crystal 10
0.5 lb honey malt
0.5 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb Crystal 60
0.25 lb flaked wheat

Hops
1 oz Mt Hood at 60 min
1 0z Mt Hood at 30 min

Grain total = 10.75 for 6 gallons, seems a bit high.
Right now I have everything but the crystal 60 and Chocolate Malt.

It looks interesting. Just a note on the wheat extract, it is not 100% wheat but 50/50 barley/wheat malt.

0.5 lb of chocolate seems a lot. It will likely turn your beer black, not just dark. It also has an assertive flavor profile. Sort of like a porter, which is good if that's what you're after. Is the C10 in there for mouthfeel and adding some unfermentables to keep the FG higher?

What does the OG calculate?

Malted Wheat has a diastatic power of 120, so it will easily convert it self, as well as the flaked wheat. So you're good there. The mash will be sticky though, like porridge, and may not drain well. I assume you use a colander lined with a grain bag to strain through? You could add a handful of rice hulls in the mash to get better drainage.

Make sure the wheat malt is crushed finely or you'll suffer low efficiency. The kernels are small and easily pass through the standard .035" gap half uncrushed. If your brewshop mills them, run them through twice at least, or narrow the gap. I set my mill's gap to .026-.028 for wheat malt. And still run them through twice.

I ran the recipe through Beersmith and the color comes out at 21 SRM, which is brown. But like IslandLizard said above, I'd be concerned about the chocolate malt dominating the flavor WAY too much. Looking up some other recipes for Dunkelweizen, I found someone who used half of the chocolate malt you're using in a 5 gallon batch and they said it ruined their recipe.

Depending how dark you want it, I would suggest you use Dark Munich or Caramunich to add color.

Thanks for the great feedback, I was a bit concerned about the chocolate component as well, I'll definitely back off that - probably drop it completely.

I'll play around with beersmith a bit more, thanks again.

Is this a partial mash or do you plan to steep all those grains?

wheat extract is indeed not true wheat. I've used it and I do like the flavor of my beer, but I know it's not just wheat. I'm not even sure I've seen pure wheat extract in my newbie time as a brewer.

I agree on the chocolate. .25 of a lb would be max I would use in this case because that wheat extract will add some amber color as well. At least in my experience it has whether I added it very late in the boil or 30 minutes before flameout.

What I would do is brew the recipe without the chocolate malt, or just a little bit, like 2 ounces. Make sure to mill all the chocolate malt separately.

Cool or warm steep the chocolate malt by itself on the side for 1/2 hour followed by a sparge, then heat to 180°F for 10 minutes to pasteurize, let cool, keep sanitized (lid on etc.). After the brew is done and chilled start adding measured amounts of that chocolate extraction to measured wort samples and add as much as you feel it needs, based on tasting the sweet wort. Trying to predict what the final beer will taste like will be a bit of a challenge but also a learning experience. Keep everything sanitary! Then add the proportional amount to your whole batch, shake well and pitch the yeast.

What yeast will you be using? A Witbier yeast like WY3944?

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't really feeling the chocolate malt so I think I'll drop it.
Perhaps I'll bump the crystal 60 up to 1lb, or upgrade the crystal 60 to crystal 90. I think I have a solid wheat-ish base recipe now so I'd like to take my final batch/supplies and add a tinge of darkness and caramel, something different than my last few batches.

My last batch was Danstar Wheat beer yeast, the krausen was pretty fast and furious but it's still got another couple weeks left to go in the bottle before I can get at it. For my next batch I have safale 05, the current wheat batch I'm drinking now I used Danstar American West Coast yeast and that batch tastes great.

I made a dunkelweizen 2 years ago that I really liked, which shamelessly stole EdWorts bavarian hefe hop schedule(and borrowed a lot from the grain bill)
Code:
3Gal
1lbs german pils
2.5lbs German wheat
0.5lbs Dark munich
1 oz midnight wheat

0.4oz Hallertau @ 45min
0.25oz Hallertau @ 15min

So I'd say it's safe to back down your chocolate malt considerably. I can look up the calculated SRM but it was in the mid-low 20s I think. You should consider using a true hefe yeast, there are a bunch out there but WLP 300 and WY3068 are the more commonly used weihenstephaner strains.

Back