Question involving propane tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I have an amerigas tank, net weight 15lbs, the tank weighs 23.6 lbs, will I have enough propane to heat my strike water and do an hour boil? From what calculations it is 6lbs and 1.6ish gallons... Advice from veterans very much appreciated...

My twin brother is brewing with me for his first time outside his mr. Beer I just want this to be a great brew day. We are brewing 5gallon( my first I'm a usual 1 gallon brewer but just got my 5 gal stuff.) and it's a 5 gallon dogfish head 60min clone.

I would think you will be ok. But... Might as well buy a backup tank now, your going to want 2.and it really removes that constant worry

Yeah, my cash went to sh*t my wife ran over some nails and had 20 of them in two tires so I got to buy a new set if tires so my extra tank money has vanished for the time being :(

Oh that sucks. Well when I only had one tank and was worried it might run out, I heated my strike and sparge water inside and just did my boil on the propane.

One thing you can do is have a brew day and measure the tank pre and post brew day to get an idea of how much it took up. It will be different for every set up and even from brew day to brew day.

What did the tank weigh after your brew session? You had the start weight. Weigh whats left and you will know how much you use for a typical brew.

I kinda used a mixture of the stove and the tank... So I'll wait till I refill it next time

I'm a bit confused, but did you say that you had a net 15 lbs of propane? So basically 3/4 of a full 20 lb tank? I've done five 5 gallon extract batches and haven't kicked my 20 lb tank yet (60 min boils).

I did cheat on the last one though and pre-boiled a bunch of water on my gas stove in a bunch of different pots to start off with. I liked this method a lot as it saved me like 20 minutes of full blast heating to get up to my specialty grains steeping temp...

I buy gas grill tanks from BJ's and they have gauges on them. It's not super accurate, but it gives me a good idea of how much gas I have left.

For what it's worth, I was able to do 6 all grain, 5 gallon brews, with one tank full tank. This in cold Montana. I bought a hand held luggage scale to weight them.

I'm a bit confused, but did you say that you had a net 15 lbs of propane? So basically 3/4 of a full 20 lb tank? I've done five 5 gallon extract batches and haven't kicked my 20 lb tank yet (60 min boils).

I think what he's saying is that the tare weight on his tank is 15 lbs, the current weight of the tank and propane inside is 23.whatever it was lbs.
When I got my tank filled last I asked the guy what the total weight full was, he said it was 38 lbs. for a tare of 18.

my buddy and me brew a couple of batches of brew on a single 20lb cylinder.
with strike water and recirculating water for mash tun and boil.

look on craigslist or the pennysaver for cheap propane tanks, i got one for $10, trade them for a shiny new rhino tank.

Back